Forum graphic layout

Benson Shaw

Question

7 answers to this question

I completely agree with reducing white space, but I would not want to see the signatures move to the top if it meant that the height of the box containing the users name, reputation, etc was not a consistent height forum-wide.

Some user signatures are quite tall compared to others, and including the signatures at the top could be counterproductive by increasing the amount of white space. (Additionally, by putting the signature at the top it would give it too much graphic importance, in my opinion, as the signature should be secondary to the text in the post).

I'd prefer that the signatures stay at the bottom, but they should have a maximum pixel height assigned to them, as well as a maximum font size with 1.0 line spacing. I like the feature that the signatures have a little check box at the right where you can hide a specific user's signature. Having that signature display check box at the top would be a little strange, in my opinion.

But - I agree that at least the posts and reputation could be compressed by having them stacked vertically with the numbers to the right instead of below. Example:

Edited by rDesign
1 hour ago, rDesign said:

but I would not want to see the signatures move to the top if it meant that the height of the box containing the users name, reputation, etc was not a consistent height forum-wide.

by putting the signature at the top it would give it too much graphic importance, in my opinion, as the signature should be secondary to the text in the post).

I'd prefer that the signatures stay at the bottom, ...

Yes, I also expect Signatures at the bottom of the post in general.
But why not.

If all that distracting information (User names + thumbnails are quite dominant)
would go to the top and happen in one frame only, that would make readability
much better in my eyes. Because all content would be concentrated between
the blocks with the thin grey lines.

For the signature, a max number of lines or a max pixel height would be equally effective at top next to name of the Author.  If some separator between posts is needed, add some space or make a background color different from the box surrounding the post.

I also find it difficult to differentiate the content of the post from the author info & logo, post body, quote/like/poll area, and signature block. Yes, I'm biased.

-B

On 06/09/2016 at 7:15 PM, zoomer said:

I second the signature move to the top.

Currently it is quite hard for me to recognize where the content of a post is,
where one post begins/ends and where the next post starts.

So true, as this new layout may seem nice and modern at first, it's really terrible. The design is really bad, because you can't see the contexts well enough, which makes it hard to navigate and use the site. Also more color would be nice, maybe add some variable in the styling to change that color every year to reflect the new VW color?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 hours ago, Dieter @ DWorks said:

So true, as this new layout may seem nice and modern at first, it's really terrible. The design is really bad, because you can't see the contexts well enough, which makes it hard to navigate and use the site. Also more color would be nice, maybe add some variable in the styling to change that color every year to reflect the new VW color?

It needs a lot of rearranging and another pass to add color or other visual cues for the various UI elements. The overall appearance is pleasing but the functional guts are where I want to focus the next updates.