command(control)-y for "redo" as in "repeat last action"?

Jeff B

Question

So many Mac programs (and I assume PC) allow the key combination Command/Ctrl-Y to "redo" as in, not just re-do that one last "undo" but as in "repeat the last action again."  For example, if I format something in a Microsoft document and hit Command-Y on the next selection it will be formatted the same.

In VW if I try it it just says "no more actions to redo."

This is such a basic function that has been absent from VW for so long (as in, forever) that I have to assume there's some fundamental reason why it can't be done but I keep thinking about it so I thought I'd write.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Like 4

12 answers to this question

Another instance where I would love this functionality is being able to use the Rotate Tool to rotate and duplicate and object, then use the "repeat last action" command to create addition duplicates of the object at the same rotation. See image below.

(I know Duplicate Array can achieve similar results but it's not a visual or interactive tool like the Rotate Tool is.)

rotate-repeat-action.jpg

3 hours ago, JimW said:

This SHOULD be working as you request. If you create a new blank document, then draw 5 rectangles, undo 5 times and then use redo/CMD-Y 5 times, does it not restore each of the rectangles? To confirm, this is 2016 SP4?

What you described is the "Redo" or "Un-Undo" by CMD+Y which is normally CMD+SHIFT+Z elswhere.

I think he is looking for a way to repeat his last Command (in the future)
Like moving a line by 1 m -> press an Shortcut -> = move line another 1 m -> and following ...

Edited by zoomer
  • Dislike 1

So coming late to my own party, and thanks Jim for submitting the request.  Yes zoomer explained it correctly.  Moving an item as in zoomer's example is one place I often want to use it, another place is formatting - highlight text, format it bold and give it the color red then highlight another piece of text press command-y and the formatting repeats.  I use this in Microsoft all the time and don't we all want to be more like Microsoft? well maybe or maybe not... but, they do have some handy features.

Thanks much!

• Dislike 1

But I think there was any possibility to do similar which I saw in a video of the
german VW. I think it was about building a custom stair where a single step
was copied again a multiple time by some command ...

Don't remember again what it exactly was.

Maybe I will find that Video again some time ...

Edited by zoomer
5 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Another instance where I would love this functionality is being able to use the Rotate Tool to rotate and duplicate and object, then use the "repeat last action" command to create addition duplicates of the object at the same rotation. See image below.

Another thing that would help is if the rotate tool could stick on the center point for subsequent select/rotate of same object or another object.  

@JimWis there a way on the new forums to separate the rotate portion of this thread into a new wishlist thread? I would like to vote for it separately.

I like the idea of a redo command as long as it doesn't affect the current functionality (eg. it does as the original poster requests only when there's nothing to redo that's been undone).

Regarding the rotate idea, I love this. Essentially I wish that rotate with duplicate turned on created a duplicate each time you clicked and that you used escape or enter to end the command when you were done. All of this might become moot if the Dragger tool is implemented in a similar way to how it behaves in other programs......

Kevin

9 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Another thing that would help is if the rotate tool could stick on the center point for subsequent select/rotate of same object or another object.  

That is similar to the "Move by Points Tool"
Where I wish that it keeps the point of last copy as the center from where to do the next copy.

1. from here
2. to here
3. to here
4. ...
Maybe a "single ESC" if really a new "from here" origin is needed.

+ I vote for the "Up Arrow" key for the new "Repeat last Command" action.

That repeat command would be handy for the "Move by Points" tool also.
If you don't know the amount of copies you will need, copy one time at the given distance,
press Up Arrow until you reached your desired amount.