Address column issue

eamon

Hi all

I am currently sharing a large (ish) lighting plan between myself (chief electrician) and the lighting designer for a production beginning next week. I have just upgraded to 2016 and she is on 2013 (maybe 2014).

She sent me on the plan for the first venue. This being the rehearsal venue.  I used this to make up the DMX plot for the show. I used the address column to input the DMX address's. This was synced via lightwright 5 and all was good on that front. I sent on the updated version as the one to work off etc.

The problems began when she did some edits and started looking to the main production venue. For every fixture she touched, the DMX address information defaulted to 0 and the information disappeared. I gathered quickly enough that is was my use of the address column. Her version does not possess this column and obviously there is a conflict between version's.The plan is useless to her re this field 

In hind sight, I should have used one of the user columns but I assumed the address column would have been fine.

I am just wondering if there was/is an easy way around this issue without manually re-mapping all the DMX information or does anybody have any insight to this problem?

Thankfully there are only two venues and I will look to use a user field column in futures.

many thanks

Eamon

3 hours ago, eamon said:

Eamon:

Seems to me that if you were to open your still-good LW5, add the user column you wish to populate and then copy from the Address column into the User column, youd be all set in a relatively few keystrokes.

Hi all

I am currently sharing a large (ish) lighting plan between myself (chief electrician) and the lighting designer for a production beginning next week. I have just upgraded to 2016 and she is on 2013 (maybe 2014).

She sent me on the plan for the first venue. This being the rehearsal venue.  I used this to make up the DMX plot for the show. I used the address column to input the DMX address's. This was synced via lightwright 5 and all was good on that front. I sent on the updated version as the one to work off etc.

The problems began when she did some edits and started looking to the main production venue. For every fixture she touched, the DMX address information defaulted to 0 and the information disappeared. I gathered quickly enough that is was my use of the address column. Her version does not possess this column and obviously there is a conflict between version's.The plan is useless to her re this field 

In hind sight, I should have used one of the user columns but I assumed the address column would have been fine.

I am just wondering if there was/is an easy way around this issue without manually re-mapping all the DMX information or does anybody have any insight to this problem?

Thankfully there are only two venues and I will look to use a user field column in futures.

many thanks

Eamon

On September 3, 2016 at 6:56 PM, eamon said:

It's pretty easy with a VectorScript, and I have done this exact thing before with other fields for a similar reason.  This one will put address into the User Field 6 field.  It only works on the current layer with visible objects, however.

PROCEDURE CopyInfo;
VAR
   h,hl :  HANDLE;
   info : STRING;
   num : INTEGER;

BEGIN

hl:=ActLayer;
   num:=NumSObj(hl);

h:= FSActLayer;

while (h<>nil) do begin
      info:= getRField(h,’Address’);
      SetRField(h, 'Lighting Device', 'User Field 6', info);
      h:=NextSObj(h);
   End;
   Message ('Replaced address info on ',num,' fixtures.');
   DoMenuTextByName('Refresh Instruments',0);
END;
Run(CopyInfo);

38 minutes ago, FrankBrault said:

FWIW, there is a function in the Spotlight->Find and Modify... menu command that does this:

Copy the <fieldToCopy> field to the <fieldToReplace> field.

Good point!  Never thought about this.  I forget that Find and Modify is even there, as I remember it can o some powerful things.