Fixture Rotation/Plan View/Instrument Summary

Hi All

I`m stuck with a problem. I`ve read threads about fixture rotation, but they seem not to give answers. 

So let`s say I have 4-lite Molefay fixture and I want to aim it towards audience. To rotate fixture, I have to edit 3D components of the symbol (If i try using 3d orientation, parts of fixture will explode all around). After editing components, my fixture looks right in 3D, but my symbol in TOP/PLAN-view looks the same as before editing components (it is the same if I rotate the fixture with 3d orientation). Then I go and delete 2d-components and paste 3d components. Now everything looks right, but when I try to use Instrument summary tool, it tells me "No 2D preview", since it obviously would need the 2D-components I have deleted. 

Sure I`m doing something wrong, so any help? Many Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Instrument rotation when controlled via a Focus Point, which is generally easiest, is currently only applied to the 3D portion of a Lighting Instrument, but there have been many requests for rotation to show (as an option) in 2D. For the time being I think you have to manually edit the 2D component to appear rotated. But from what I recall, you shouldn't normally edit the 3D component and rotate that, the 3D component will follow the focus point by default.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I believe you would have to edit the 2D Component of the base symbol, which creates the problem of needing a duplicate of each lighting device symbol resource to represent each angle of rotation. If there is a cleaner way I am not aware of it, but this most likely explains why 2D rotation is so frequently requested.

In which case you will need to edit the 2d portion of the symbol to show what you need to see. There is no quick fix, so you will need to actually draft what you want to see in this instance. I often do this. Just duplicate the symbol, rename the symbol (the light info data will remain the same), edit the 2d portion and use it instead of the stock symbol.

For symbols that are symmetrical front and back like floods and Molefays, then I often add an arrow to the 2D portion to make it clear which way it is pointing.

I hope I understand you correctly.

Mark

Edited by markdd
add more info
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Frank Brault

It may be possible to eliminate the need to redraw portions of the lighting Device assigned symbol definition. In the currently shipping Vectorworks Spotlight, there is a checkbox in the File->Document Settings->Spotlight Preferences dialog: "Automatically Rotate 2D to Focus Point", which which overrides the user designated rotation value to agree with the Draw Beam angle. This rotates the 2D representation of all fixtures in the document to align with the assigned Focus Point object. Does this address your inquiry?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Frank, sorry for missing your post earlier.

I`m sure it would work with many symbols, but not with molefays for example, since the symbol itself looks "wrong" by default.

I`m afraid I have a new question and I think it is close enought to be asked in the same thread:

Now, once I have gotten to a point where my symbols look right in the 3d, 2d and in the instrument summary, what would be the best way to have colors in the symbols shown in instrument summary? I use layer colors with different fixtures, but colors are not shown in the instrument summary. 

Thank you again.