PVA - Jim

Forum - Attachments from Old forums aren't appearing

Question

The post attachments from the old forums are not appearing for users. They were migrated over, but they arent being displayed properly. Working on this issue now.

New attachments will not be affected by this issue.

7 answers to this question

@JimW - possibly related to the post attachment issues with the new forum, I've noticed old posts with URLs are still pointing to the old forum URL. Here's an example post:

Those will never be fixed unfortunately. There was no way to reconcile the old busted linking system with a modern one. Any direct links to parts of the old forum will redirect to the new forum's main page.

That is unfortunate. 

I guess a database 'Search and Replace' function wouldn't work as the URL schema are completely different with the new forum, right?

Pretty much, apparently the same columns that stored the posts were used for lots of other things. I'm told it was a near miracle we were able to keep users AND posts. The old board was effectively 21 year old technology and even when it was new, it had a bad way of using its own sorta-kinda-SQL database.

This has not been forgotten, progress continues restoring the old archive. Our web team is working with the folks from InvisionPower, who have done a pretty solid job of responding to the multitude of question we have had during this process. I highly recommend them.

Yup, we probably would have had it the first week if I hadn't mucked it up. IPS support and Web team still have the ticket open and are going back and forth on it.

In fact some.of the more recent attachments have started acting odd but I've been told not to touch them for now.