visualization palette

bc

Question

I wish that in the visualization palette, there was a means by which we could control each light intensity (beyond the mere On/Off) such that when lights are altered the results appear in real time. This way I could adjust several on the spot and see my lighting affects. This back and forth is crazy.

• Like 2

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Would a simple percentage slider be sufficient? Is it uncommon in your lighting work to use numerical temperature values rather than the 0-100% slider?

Often this value would be set higher than 100% however, would a slider with a percentage override field value off to the side be enough to cover this need?

An intensity slider, with yes a 100% override would be helpful, similarly, a way of adjusting colour using the colour picker and/or filter number would be a very useful addition. Colour temperature also would be helpful as well. This is just a start though and it would be fantastic to have a complete overhaul of the visualisation palette in SPOTLIGHT. Maybe next year!? There are many features related to this that I long for. (I will start a new thread on the wish list section)

Mark

54 minutes ago, JimW said:

Gotcha, agreed, I put them in for anywhere that the Visualization palette is included.

Thanks for doing that as I was going to request for it to be added in Landmark as well.

That being said, could it be an option to have these adjustable settings in the OIP so that when you select a light source in the visualization palette all relevant info will show in the OIP and you can adjust from there? I guess most people have the OIP already open anyway and it this way the Visualization palette could be kept relatively compact as most of us, with exception of spotlight users, deal with lights for a relatively limited amount of time compared to the overall drawing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Not sure about that, then it would be very easy to mess up normal object selection via palette interaction, which I don't think we do anywhere else. Might be a better option to have the Viz palette have a pop-out pane when a light is selected within it with these controls, or just make that part of the palette collapsible like portions of the new Resource Manager are going to be.

In any case, lack of control is clearly the detriment, I see a few different ways it could be approached and still improved while keeping previous habits happy.

I was more thinking along the lines of the "intelligent"  ribbon in MS Office and some other programs where the ribbon changes depending on what you are working on but then applied to the OIP.

Aside from the standard items shown in the OIP  the lower part could change depending on the object selected (already the case for some tools) and in case of lights it would then contain the variables that could be adjusted as requested in this thread.

A pop-out pane would work too, but the downside could be that it may further reduce drawing real estate when working in a single monitor configuration, e.g. a laptop while working on location. It already is a bit cramped on most laptop screens.

• Like 1