Demo Plans and new walls

I am trying to come up with a strategy to show walls that are going to be removed(demo Plan) and new wall that will be put up.

1-I was going to wall my existing conditions

2- I was going to change the wall of the wall I now are going to be removed- call it demo walls

Create a new walls and call it the class New walls.

I just dont know the best approach of tuning certain walls on and off to show on my sheet layers.

Please share your mythology for demo plans and new plans.

thanks

create all existing walls as unstyled walls with a suitable class (Wall-Existing). use the class to control the graphic style of the wall.

Create a new class for Wall-Demo. set the required graphic style.

select the wall to the removed to the Wall-Demo Class.

split walls with the Split tool where you only want to remove part of the wall.

I set my wall class with pen and fill as I want them to be in "new" condition (in my case gray poche.) Then I have separate new and existing wall types. New walls simply use class attributes. Existing walls use white fill. I model existing and new work on separate design layers. I then cut up the existing plan as needed to accommodate the new work, moving all demolished walls to the demolition class (dashed lines, white fill.) Then model all new work on it's own design layer. This allows me to crate a demolition plan and construction plan by simply turning layers & classes on and off.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

i am following what Jonathan has suggested and been working ok... it is not the most intuitive way but given the status of Vectorworks it is good enough and I can live with that. However, what I am having difficulties with are - on a wall where a demolition wall was butting into has now been removed for the Proposed Plan, it leaves a gap where the demo wall would have been placed. Any idea as to how to get rid of that? 

Attached are screen-shot of what I mean..... many thanks in advance! 

The grey walls are - Existing 

Red walls/elements are - Proposed

Turquoise walls / elements are - Demolished

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 14.38.16.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 14.38.32.png

I used to use wall styles for all existing walls, and then duplicate them to create Demo wall styles, until I had a project that had 6 or 7 different wall thicknesses. This meant 6 or 7 demo wall styles. What a disaster. So now I use unstyled walls for existing and demolished, and then control the graphics of each using the classes. When you create the Viewports you can use class overrides to change the graphic style. This means that you can use the same walls to create existing plans and demolition plans, but they can look different.

58.png

Jonathan, using "edit wall attributes" in a wall style dialog box, you can select options to assign class values to the fill, colors and line weight - but you can't select a different line style (i.e., a dashed style), which is the standard where I work. If VW could add line style to that set of options, it would complete the ability to control the look of styled walls with classing.  From your example, it looks like you use color and fill, so maybe class control of styled walls would work for you.

Wall Attributes.pdf

Edited by P Retondo
clarity

True, Jonathan, so the solution to that is not to have so many different kinds of walls :).  Seriously, though, if classing works you could reduce the number of styles by 1/2.  Not solid on the details, I've always been a bit vague on the relationship of the "overall" wall attributes and the effect of various options for the wall components.  I always use <object class> for the structural component of a wall, which I think makes it take on fills/hatches per the wall class.  It makes a difference if the viewport is showing components or not, and I think if components are showing the Wall Attributes choices may not have the same effect compared to if the components are not shown.  I did some fooling around, and although the Wall Attributes window doesn't say so, if everything is "Class Style" the wall does pick up class linestyle settings, so I just figured out how to make two walls with the same style be either a wall to be removed or a wall to stay, using classing.

• Like 1

I use Walls by Styles only.
Set to "by Components" and Components "by Class" only.

I have Object Classes (Walls/Windows, ...) as Well as Component or Material Classes (Concrete, Wood, ...)
So all Components, including the Core, are controlled by the Material Classes.

Only the (empty) Wall Main Body resides on the Object Class.
So that I can disable ALL Walls at once if needed.

• Like 1
On 18/09/2016 at 6:10 AM, zoomer said:

I use Walls by Styles only.
Set to "by Components" and Components "by Class" only.

I have Object Classes (Walls/Windows, ...) as Well as Component or Material Classes (Concrete, Wood, ...)
So all Components, including the Core, are controlled by the Material Classes.

Only the (empty) Wall Main Body resides on the Object Class.
So that I can disable ALL Walls at once if needed.

I think our system is fairly similar, using one wall style in different container classes to get different fill on the background. Components are set by a material class that uses a hatch with no fill to give the correct drawing nomenclature. It works mostly until we need to show new and demo on a single plan. In those cases the demo walls are few and we then de-style the wall to suit. Attached is a Handy PDF showing basic set-up.

This method is handy as deal with a lot of change management for clients over time so at the end of each stage of works we can merge new and existing classes, empty the demo class and have an As-Built drawing ready for the next stage.

Wall Test.pdf

• Like 1

Ah, ok.

I use the Wall/Door/... MAIN-Classes primarily for Visibility organization while drawing.
But they can be used for the simple drawing style in Viewports, to control appearance
when not showing separate components, too.

When I have to do different versions/alternatives in file, it was mostly with geometry changes so far.
I pull out all related geometry to a new Layer (or even more if Stories involved) = version 1
an make duplicates from these for all following versions.

If geometry does not change much and there are graphical changes only, I think the way to go is
by Viewports on Sheet Layers and overwriting Classes.