line-weight

3D Plants! Options for the confused architect.

Trying to get my head around what options I have as far as 3D plants go, as a VW2016 Architect+Renderworks user (with VSS subscription).

This seems to follow the traditional VW maximal confusion model. But so far I think I can summarise the options as follows:

1. The "VBvisual Plant" tool gives me access to a few "VBvisual Plant" objects. I can add a few more of these by downloading the selection offered on the VSS downloads page.

- I can't edit these other than by the options in the OIP (can choose season, height etc, options vary slightly by plant)

- These are parametric objects, they don't live in the resource browser

- They are 3D objects, not image props.

- In top/plan view they are rendered as colour bitmap images (no option to control this?)

2. Via Resource browser: Vectorworks Library/Defaults/Plants/"Basic Plants"

- contains "Plant" objects

- they seem to be a special variety of image prop?

- provides me with an image prop in 3D

- provides me with a coloured symbol-type vector object in top/plan.

- I can't edit these or control their top/plan appearance?

- There are various options in the OIP but they are greyed out. Is this because I don't have Landmark?

3. Via Resource browser: Vectorworks Library/Defaults/Plants/"Monrovia Plant objects" (downloaded from VSS)

- more "plant" objects that have same properties as 2. above

4. Via Resource browser: Vectorworks Library/Defaults/Plants/"Monrovia Image Props" (downloaded from VSS)

- These are 3D symbols, the 3D component of which contains an image prop.

- I can scale and edit the image prop.

- In top/plan view, rendered as black line cross like a locus point.

5. Via Resource browser: Vectorworks Library/Objects-Miscellaneous & Entourage/Entourage Trees

- Provides set of 2D/3D symbols

- 3D component is semi-diagramatic 3D model of tree

- 2D component is vector type plan symbol

- Both components editable

6. Via Resource browser: Vectorworks Library/Objects-Miscellaneous & Entourage/Entourage Image props

- set of image props which includes a few trees/shrubs

- editable

So in summary I can choose between:

- "VBvisual Plant" objects - 3d models

- "Plant" objects - special type of image prop (with some features disabled)

- "Image prop" objects

- Regular 3D symbols which can contain either image props or 3D models

Have I got this about right?

Have I missed any useful plant libraries that are supplied with VW, or does anyone have any recommendations for external ones?

Edited by line-weight

I like the VB Visual plants as they are 3D but file size and render time wise quite

acceptable and I think they look ok. (Bought the complete package once for C4D)

These aren't so many types - thought I get all of them by Service Select (?),

not sure.

I have XFROG plants for Modo or Laubwerk Plants for C4D.

But would not want those Polygon explosions in VW. I use these normally with

replicators or similar only, means they will first and only appear in full complexity

at render time. Also these are kind of "real" so not very transparent and often tend

to hide your Architecture.

I see often beautiful VW renderings with image probs. I think that is the way to go

for VW. Looks like the Architect versions hasn't much of these and not the best

quality. I think it is thought to create these by the user himself.

But would welcome a nice Set of these.

Problem is that VW saves the image in the VW file, so these, like VB Visuals will bloat

file size. But they render reasonably fast of course.

I like the VB Visual plants as they are 3D but file size and render time wise quite

acceptable and I think they look ok. (Bought the complete package once for C4D)

These aren't so many types - thought I get all of them by Service Select (?),

not sure.

I seem to get about 15 of them from VSS.

If I want more, it seems I have to buy from here:

http://vwx.rendermall.com/

On 8/24/2016 at 2:37 PM, line-weight said:

1. The "VBvisual Plant" tool gives me access to a few "VBvisual Plant" objects. I can add a few more of these by downloading the selection offered on the VSS downloads page.

- I can't edit these other than by the options in the OIP (can choose season, height etc, options vary slightly by plant)

- These are parametric objects, they don't live in the resource browser

- They are 3D objects, not image props.

- In top/plan view they are rendered as colour bitmap images (no option to control this?)

I have found the underlying symbols for these in the Resource Browser and created hybrid symbols from them, though this does mean forgoing the OIP controls for season, etc..  And of course once they're hybrid symbols, the top/plan bitmaps can be replaced with simple vectorial graphics, etc.  So, I've made bigger trees, trees with two trunks, etc., all without the bitmap image.  (Both the geometry and the textures for the original symbols should be in the RB / in the Resource Manager symbols are in a Folder called "VBvisual Plant," and the textures are at the top level).  I also just found that you can just "destroy" (Apple+K or "Convert to Group") a plant and get to its hybrid symbol that way. 

11 hours ago, willofmaine said:

I have found the underlying symbols for these in the Resource Browser and created hybrid symbols from them, though this does mean forgoing the OIP controls for season, etc..  And of course once they're hybrid symbols, the top/plan bitmaps can be replaced with simple vectorial graphics, etc.  So, I've made bigger trees, trees with two trunks, etc., all without the bitmap image.  (Both the geometry and the textures for the original symbols should be in the RB / in the Resource Manager symbols are in a Folder called "VBvisual Plant," and the textures are at the top level).  I also just found that you can just "destroy" (Apple+K or "Convert to Group") a plant and get to its hybrid symbol that way. 

Thanks for this - all useful to know.

Since I started this thread, I've become a bit nervous about using plant objects, because I had a file where they kept disappearing without warning. A search suggests that this is an issue that others have experienced, sporadically, over a number of VW releases.

Hi All,

To keep file size manageable, I'd use the VB plants as "specimen" trees (those up front and close in your renderings) and then use image props further back and then finally, maybe a background image with trees in it.

You may have to switch out which tree(s) are the specimens and which are the "entourage" depending on the view you want of the architecture.

The cover sheet of the Gallery has all three...the trees up front are VB, the ones further back are image props and the big one and the sky is a background image.

And of course, you can use line work in your elevations so that it/they don't obscure the architecture.

Wes

Gallery_196_CS.png

Hillside House Elev.png

• Like 1