Generating 2D dwg file from complex 3D Vectorworks model

Hi @ all,

I simply want a top view of my 3D VW drawing with olny it's outlines as dwg file.

I found the following solutions :

-creating a viewport in top view and rendering this one as "Hidden Line". Afterwards exporting this to dwg with option "export as flattened 2D Objects"

Result: perfect, but due to the very complex 3D Model rendering takes one hour or more... :(

- creating a viewport in top view as wireframe and exporting to dwg.

Result: looks ok, but I get hundrets of overlapping lines and the file gets 3 times bigger than the VW file.

- creating 3-4 section viewports in "Hidden Line" of the model, exporting them to dwg and joining them together afterwards.

Result: I dont get the precise outlines, depending on what levels the section viewports are. And : It's a lot of work, no way to get this within 5 minutes...

- Creating a PDF file from my viewport, re-importing this to VW, ungroup it and delete the non-vector elements and re-exporting this to dwg.

Result: This is the "quick and dirty soultion", it is quick , but delivers no precise outlines since the PDF export kind of "vector-pixelises" some outlines.

So, I think a program like Vectorworks should have some better solutions for this workflow... Do I miss anything ?

Edited by halfcouple
  • Like 1

as expected, same result.

when exporting sheet layers, viewports are exported as blocks(=symbols),while VW-classes remain acad-classes.

when exporting design layers, VW layers can either be exported as acad-classes and class information gets lost, or as seperate files with remaining classes.

This has no influence on the problem that a 35MB Vectorworks File is blown up to 110MB acad-file, when exporting a wireframe sheet layer or a wireframe design layer.

I guess I have to content myself with waiting the redering time or buying a quicker computer...

Try these settings:

Render Hidden lines and get a result you are happy with, then export DWG. In the central column of the resulting dialogue box, select the sheet/s that you want to export and then check "Export 2d graphics in Model Space"

This seems to work well for me.

Hope that helps

Mark

Try these settings:

Render Hidden lines and get a result you are happy with, then export DWG. In the central column of the resulting dialogue box, select the sheet/s that you want to export and then check "Export 2d graphics in Model Space"

This seems to work well for me.

Hope that helps

Mark

that's precisely what I did. Result is perfect, execpt to the fact that rendering in hidden line takes more than one hour....

Edited by halfcouple

Yes, hidden classes are not exported, and all classes and layers that are not needed are set to invisible.

But you are right, this seems to be the only way, that I have to manage this somehow with an intelligent system of layers and classes, so I can switch of more information that is not needed for rendering.

Seems that I'm again exceeding the limits of Vectorworks (or my computer)... *sigh*

Edited by halfcouple
  • Like 1