Duplicating sheets and drawing label numbers

I often duplicate sheets as a starting point to work from. Today I noticed that when you duplicate a sheet, any drawing labels on the new sheet have stepped up to the next available number. Does anyone else think this is odd?

For example on the sheet I'm going to duplicate, there are drawing numbers 1 and 2. When I duplicate the sheet, the drawing number on the new sheet are both 3. It would be much more useful if they stayed 1 and 2 since the drawings on each sheet are numbered in relationship to the sheet, not to each other.

Kevin

• Like 1

Yes, I think it's very odd. No logic to it from end user point of view.

I could sort of understand the new numbers changing to 3 and 4. But both 3? VWX puts up a dialog if I try to number a new VP with same number as existing VP on same sheet. - And that dialog? "do you want to change the number of the existing drawing?" Well, no. What up with that??? If I created a number conflict with the new thing, I want a chance to renumber the new one, not change the old one! end of rant

-B

• Like 1
VWX puts up a dialog if I try to number a new VP with same number as existing VP on same sheet. - And that dialog? "do you want to change the number of the existing drawing?" Well, no. What up with that??? If I created a number conflict with the new thing, I want a chance to renumber the new one, not change the old one! end of rant

I hate that dialog. I wish that there was a preference to number across then down or down then across as defaults. As I drag things around, VW should renumber, shouldn't it :-)

This numbering anomaly from duplicating sheets is new. I duplicate sheets constantly and don't remember it being an issue before.

KM

Edited by Kevin McAllister
I think the problem is that there can't be the same "name" more than one time.

Same as finder will add a " copy" or number to the file name when duplicating.

Or other Software adds any kind of postfix to any objects.

Except that Labels can use the same number, if on different sheets. There should be a #1 on each sheet. The Name of each viewport updates as you describe.

I just did a test and got an even Kevins result. A sheet with 3 viewports, duplicated with viewport names incremented as expected "Batten Splice - 7" that was 6. But the labels which were 1, 2, 3 are all now 4, an illegal but not fatal condition.

This is a couple of bugs all at once. And a wish for a "renumber" tool.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...