3d truss rotation

gattoni

If you are using the truss tool: Set the Hanging Angle in the OIP to 90.

If you are using a truss symbol: Right click on the symbol in the resource browser, edit the 2D portion. Make sure all the classes for the truss are turned on. Select all and delete. The symbol will change from being a hybrid symbol to a 3D symbol. You can now rotate it freely about any axis.

hth

mk

Two more questions:

- I don't find the Hanging Angle for the curved truss, is it due to the french version or how do you manage it ?

- If I remove the 2D portion of the hybrid symbol, I can rotate it but if I convert it to a light position, I lose the symbol in the 2D plot, so how to do it ?

Thank in advance !

Curved truss is a little different. There is a check box at the bottom of the OIP for "Draw 3D Only". Check that and you can rotate the curved truss around any axis.

The old fashioned way to do what you want is to rotate the truss the way you want it then select it > Modify > Convert > Convert Copy to Lines > Hidden Line. Select the group of lines and the 3D truss, create a symbol, convert to position.

But that way madness lies.

The newer way is to draw the truss like it was laying on the ground. The way it will look before it is rigged. Put this truss and the fixtures on it on their own layer.

Now create a new Design Layer Viewport. Put the viewport on the layer with the truss. This viewport can be rotated any way you want. And I have no idea how they did this - but focus points still work when you do this - it's some kind of magic or something. I sometimes place two DLVPs on the layer in different classes for 2D and 3D.

It sounds way more complicated than it actually is. I'll attach an example so you can see how it works.

hth

mk

Edited by michaelk

Hi,

Thank you for your tips, it works (easy but not very intuitive ;-).

But one more thing: I've some hybrid symbol from manufacturer, and I can't set the 3D orientation. I attach an example: I'ld to draw a vertical arch, with the spotlight facing the audience. If I take your Robin symbol, it works, and not with the Sixpar symbol.

I think something is wrong in the 3D part of my symbol, but I can't find it. Could you help me ?

best, steph

Steph

The Elation symbol is messed up. (I'll resist the urge to talk about how appropriate that is…)

It's missing the 'base' geometry.

All lighting instruments have to have exactly 4 3D objects. A base object (sometimes a clamp), a yolk object, and a body object. These have to have the parts record format attached with the appropriate field set to TRUE.

There also has to be a 3D locus a the pivot point of the body.

If any of these objects or the link to the record format are missing the symbol can't handle changing the 3D orientation.

I don't think the US version has Elation fixtures. Is this symbol from the French localized version?

I'll attach a file with the corrected symbol.

hth

mk

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your corrected file, and your comment about the 3D lighting instrument. The way how to build a hybrid 2D/3D lighting instrument is not easy for me, and your explanations help to understand the principles.

I download the elation file from here: http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDownloads.aspx

and added the .vwx to the library/ressources/Lighting Instrument - Symbols

so the problem doesn't come from the french ;-) (and maybe we have to send a mail to the elation engineers...)

Do you know a tutorial or a manual to build lighting instrument ? I didn't find anything about this in the french documentation of VW.

Thanks a lot for the time spent for this problem.

Steph

Hi Rob!

I've found that if the base member is missing then setting the 3D orientation can cause it to "fly apart". That's sort of what was happening to this symbol.

Steph

I don't know of any tutorial to build lighting instruments. I'm be happy to answer any questions you have. It's not as complicated as it first seems. Maybe we can convince VW to schedule a webinar.

I do know that is used to be a much more necessary skill than it is today. Thanks, I think, in large part to Rob. (And probably Kevin and many more.) This seldom happens in native VW fixtures.

mk

Hi Michael and Rob!

I confirm that if the "base" is missing, the instrument is "flying apart". You can try for ex. with the Warp Profile from ADB in the VW library.

Actually there are a lot of instruments which are not OK in the VW Library. And I can't find a pixel bar, do know one ?

And I'm also looking for an ACL 4 PAR36 bar, I try to build it, but without success for the moment. And I don't know how to configure it (1 instrument, but 4 focus point)

About the 3d locus rotating point, is there a record format attached to it ? Or you have to draw only 1 3d locus in the instrument symbol ?

Thank you again,

Stephane

Hi Michael and Rob!

I confirm that if the "base" is missing, the instrument is "flying apart". You can try for ex. with the Warp Profile from ADB in the VW library.

Actually there are a lot of instruments which are not OK in the VW Library. And I can't find a pixel bar, do know one ?

And I'm also looking for an ACL 4 PAR36 bar, I try to build it, but without success for the moment. And I don't know how to configure it (1 instrument, but 4 focus point)

About the 3d locus rotating point, is there a record format attached to it ? Or you have to draw only 1 3d locus in the instrument symbol ?

Thank you again,

Stephane

Hi Michael and Rob!

Thank you again,

Stephane

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys! I'm also having problems with the Elation SixPar "Flying apart" when 3D rotated... I went to Elation's website.. Attempted to open their 2016 vector works symbol, and I see nothing. Vector works opens but its a blank file. I might be doing something wrong..Could anyone help me out? Thanks!