Stake tool challenges

Hi

I'm getting some strange behavior from the stake tool. Trying to set some stakes on a drawing. Each time I click to insert one the OIP displays the stake is on the drawing but it is not visible on my screen.

I also tried importing stakes from another drawing and I get the same thing, it's as if a class is turned off but I don't see that. If I create a blank new file, no problem. Any ideas what could cause this?

Jamie - Try changing the Mode setting in OIP. Switch from Include as Site Model Data to 2d Graphic Only. Also, I think all the modes show the graphic in Top/Plan.

Another Stake problem: If move a stake to new z value, either by dragging to a new location or adjusting the z in OIP, the stake text label does not update to new z value. My workaround is to toggle the Mode to any of the Site Model/Modifier options, then back to 2d Graphic. Is there a better way to force the label to update?

-B

Thanks Benson and Jonathan. Turns out it was the Show 3d loci setting. I've never touched this setting before. All good now, thank you very much.

Benson I'm not seeing the same issue that you described. If I drag/copy or move the stake (providing it has set elev to site model) the z value does change.

Thanks again.

Benson - I was having similar problems with the Stake tool recently as well: I was trying to use the '2D Graphic only' mode, but when I typed a Z-value in the OIP it just canceled itself out and wouldn't display what I typed.

I assumed it was my messed up Vectorworks installation.

I'm still not resolving everything:

1. Re Tim's comment - If the Stake Object's Mode is set to Set Elevation to Site Model, then the OIP z value is inoperative - whatever is keyed in reverts to site model elevation. OIP becomes operative again if Mode set to Use 2d graphic, or the others.

2. I cannot reproduce Jamie's same situation. I see either a 3d locus or the triangle & label. Vectorworks Pref for Show 3d Loci Always/Wire Frame Only makes no difference. Jamie shows a dotted outline. I can't make that happen with prefs, lowering the stake below a surface, or anything else.

3. My stakes (Elevation mode) do not update z changes. OIP z value updates correctly, but I have to toggle the mode to update the label. In the various xy, EN modes, the label updates automatically with drag and OIP adjustments. Only the Elevation mode shows the problem.

-B

1. Re Tim's comment - If the Stake Object's Mode is set to Set Elevation to Site Model, then the OIP z value is inoperative - whatever is keyed in reverts to site model elevation. OIP becomes operative again if Mode set to Use 2d graphic, or the others.

2. I cannot reproduce Jamie's same situation. I see either a 3d locus or the triangle & label. Vectorworks Pref for Show 3d Loci Always/Wire Frame Only makes no difference. Jamie shows a dotted outline. I can't make that happen with prefs, lowering the stake below a surface, or anything else.

3. My stakes (Elevation mode) do not update z changes. OIP z value updates correctly, but I have to toggle the mode to update the label. In the various xy, EN modes, the label updates automatically with drag and OIP adjustments. Only the Elevation mode shows the problem.

-B

I think the elevation value on Stake objects are broken.

I fixed my other Vw issues by resetting my preferences, but I'm still having problems with the Stake's OIP Z-value not changing in 'Use as 2D graphic only'.

If I change the Stake to 'Set Elev to site model' its Z-value changes, but I am trying to provide a spot elevation for the top of a retaining wall, which is not part of the site. If I change it back to 2D only, then the last elev from the site model shows, but I cannot change it by typing in a Z value on the OIP.

-B

I think the elevation value on Stake objects are broken.

I fixed my other Vw issues by resetting my preferences, but I'm still having problems with the Stake's OIP Z-value not changing in 'Use as 2D graphic only'.

If I change the Stake to 'Set Elev to site model' its Z-value changes, but I am trying to provide a spot elevation for the top of a retaining wall, which is not part of the site. If I change it back to 2D only, then the last elev from the site model shows, but I cannot change it by typing in a Z value on the OIP.

I have had recently similar problems with stake objects not respecting typed-in Z-values in the OIP in VWD2016 SP3. As I recall I ended up deleting all the stake objs & re-entering them from scratch. Apparently only the initially-given Z-value is respected. Seems buggy.

The help file says that the Stake object's 'Use as 2D graphic only' mode

treats the stake like a text box and does not include 3D information such as elevation

Does that mean that the stake object is 'Broken as Designed' and that you cannot show the OIP input Z-elevation in 2D Graphic only mode?

Edited by rDesign
. . . but I'm still having problems with the Stake's OIP Z-value not changing in 'Use as 2D graphic only'.

Strange. In Elevation mode, I am able to drag, move by points or other to change z location of a stake and the OIP z value updates accordingly. But the stake label does not update. Similarly, If I change the OIP z value, the stake move up/down, but the label does not update. Label updates only if I toggle the mode from/to Elevation.

Note that if a site model is present, do not toggle to the Set to Site Model Surface mode. This moves the stake to the surface. Toggling back to Elevation mode does not move the stake away from the surface.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • 9 months later...
On 8/10/2016 at 7:56 AM, rDesign said:

The help file says that the Stake object's 'Use as 2D graphic only' mode

Does that mean that the stake object is 'Broken as Designed' and that you cannot show the OIP input Z-elevation in 2D Graphic only mode?

I'm still having problems with using the Stake Object in '2D Graphic Mode' in Vw2016. I'm trying to use it to show the top elevation for a concrete retaining wall, but it will not accept any value that I input into the Z-elevation. I had to convert the stake object to a Group so I could edit the elevation text in order show the Z-elevation correctly. 

Is the '2D Graphic Mode' of the Stake Object working as-designed (or broken as-designed)? 

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem with the stake object in 2D Graphic mode in VW 2015. My workaround is to set mode to "site modifier object", enter the data I want, then change mode to "2D graphic object." It then shows the elevation I want. 

Dillon