Print to file?

Hello. We are trying to find a method of printing to file which our service bureaus can handle. We purchased Distiller and the process of printing to PDF seems to work OK on our side--the PDFs look good. Unfortunately the service bureaus (2 so far) can't rip the PDFs to TIFs without introducing errors, such as grey shading at supposedly white objects and wild text incompatibilities. I notice that at least on the PC version, there is a "Print to File" check box, but in typical semi-broken VW fashion, it doesn't prompt for a save location nor does it assign a file type. What type of file does this create and how can it be viewed? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Paul Dent

SF, CA

The print to file checkmark box is a feature of the printer driver, not VW.

Only certain printers have this feature.

When you check mark print to file and click on the OK button in the Print dialog box, you'll get a print to file dialog pop up wtih a location box.

Here you type in the exact full path - c:\testprint.prn.

You can give it prn or plt extension. If you are using a PS printer, you can give it a .ps extension.

You can create PS files on a MAC os 9 if a PS printer is enabled. This should be a check mark option or the likes in the Print dialog box.

If in OS 10, go to the generic printer and create a PS plot by going to the Output drop down in the print dialog box.

[ 07-11-2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Thank you very much Katie. I will try your suggestions.

As long as we're at it, is there a way to ensure that the default for newly created objects is a clear and NOT a white background? I know you can change the class properties to clear and then default to that, but it is like pulling teeth to get staff to do it and I would just like to change the default for new classes/items to clear. Honestly, I can't understand why white is the default. It makes me crazy even before we have PDF problems with it.

I'm not sure I follow your question.

Do you want the background of what you are drawing on to be 'clear', or do you want the fill for objects to be 'clear' by default?

phdarch,

I print to file on a regular basis. My print company gave me a driver for their plotter which I can select in my chooser in Mac OS9. The print quality is exact and very good. The only problem is I have to revert from OS10 to 9 every time I need to print but this is due to the plotter not having an OS10 driver yet.