Jump to content
Phil hunt

Vectorworks 2017

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, rDesign said:

@JimW- on the Interior Elevations OIP, do the check-boxes for North, South, East & West reflect the direction of project North as set by a Heliodon?

No. There was much debate about this, but since it is possible to add two or more heliodon objects and give them different "Norths" this wasn't a reliable choice, so it assumes North is Up in a non-rotated top/plan view.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Chris Gentry said:

Any migration tips or issues to watch out for?

Keep an eye on your multi component Slabs.
Improved 2017 Boundary Options may collide with your previous settings in complex boundary situations.
May require a new, advanced Setup.
 

Share this post


Link to post

this morning (loaction netherlands) i download the 2017 installer for the mac and it works fine later this afternoon i want to download the windows version for my pc laptop  but now on the vss site its show the 2016 installer? What can i do?

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, TBR said:

this morning (loaction netherlands) i download the 2017 installer for the mac and it works fine later this afternoon i want to download the windows version for my pc laptop  but now on the vss site its show the 2016 installer? What can i do?

Edward

Please direct message me your VSS ID and I will have the Service Select team take a look. Might be the distributor's settings or it might be your account.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Might be like for me yesterday, where the SSSite still showed the VW 2016 Banner,
but sent the VW 2017 version anyway.

I think it's worth a try a download and check your Download folder if it may be a file
including 2017 in its name - as it was for me.
If not you can cancel anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Might be like for me yesterday, where the SSSite still showed the VW 2016 Banner,
but sent the VW 2017 version anyway.

I think it's worth a try a download and check your Download folder if it may be a file
including 2017 in its name - as it was for me.
If not you can cancel anyway.

Hi Zoomer,

I check that and the file is a 2016 installer

i have send a mail to designexpress and i will call them tomorrow

thnx

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Altivec said:

 There is still a long way to go and as a result of my renewed hope,  I'm going to be riding you guys all year long to make sure we keep going in the right direction :D

Never stop ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like the new custom Cabinet tool.  That is something that would have been touted in years passed as a press worth addition - now it is buried deep in the help files.  

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

Any one know whether VWX2017 will work on macOS Sierra - the new version of OS X due for release in a couple of weeks or so?

Currently just 10.10 and 10.11, the instant I have news regarding 10.12 I will post it.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

I like the new custom Cabinet tool.  That is something that would have been touted in years passed as a press worth addition - now it is buried deep in the help files.  

We'll be making a feature video on it and give it the treatment, we ran so short on time (there were boatloads of features as many have notices) that we had to split some off to be made after release. Drop Shadows, pen/fill separate opacity control, and a bunch of other stuff is on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, JimW said:

Attached is a complete list of the tasks that went into Vectorworks 2017. (I'm using an attachment because it would be an insanely long forum post.) If you have any questions about any of the specific tasks, give me the name or Id and I can explain them in full!

vwtasks_22 (2).xlsx

Thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, JimW said:

If you DON'T use the Migration Assistant, you'll need to add the brand new menus and tools via the workspace editor, but otherwise I have not heard of anything else.

@JimW- is this correct that if you DO NOT use the Migration Assistant you have to manually add the new 2017 menus and tools to the default workspaces?

I thought it was the reverse, where you'd need to add the new tools to your migrated custom workspace.

Edited by rDesign

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, rDesign said:

@JimW- is this correct that if you DO NOT use the Migration Assistant you have to manually add the new 2017 menus and tools to the default workspaces?

I thought it was the reverse, where you'd need to add the new tools to your migrated custom workspace.

The techs were telling me there is an issue related to the Migration Assistant and the new Spotlight tools specifically, however in the end it is fixed by either adding the tools manually after migration or removing the ones migration did add, then adding them back manually.

Supposedly the migration assistant is supposed to add some of the new tools for you automatically if they simply didn't exist before your workspace was created, but this doesn't seem to be completely true. It certainly isn't dangerous in any way and doesn't endanger files or work, it's just something that is supposed to be automatic ending up being done manually. Going to get specifics tomorrow and get everything filed as soon as possible if it isn't already known. SP1 for 2017 already has a crazy huge list of planned fixed items, something like 238 which is much higher than normal so I'll see if this stuff wasn't already filed.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new 'Cut Plane for Design Layers' can do:

Quote

The "CUT PLANE FOR DESIGN LAYERS" task will improve users' ability to draw architecturally correct floor plans for buildings.
Users will define a "Cut-plane elevation" property for a Design Layer.
This property will control the way Walls and objects inserted in them are drawn. 3D Wall features and Auto-hybrid objects will, when placed on a layer with a cut-plane, adopt that cut-plane property to unify the appearance of the floor plan.

From the Help File:

Quote

Enable Cut Plane at Layer Elevation
(Vectorworks Architect required)

The cut plane is the intersection of an imaginary XY plane and object geometry. This option enables cut plane display for the following items on the layer: auto hybrid objects, walls and curtain walls (including the objects, like windows, that are within the walls), structural members, and wall features. When enabled, set the cut plane elevation.

 

Edited by rDesign

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, TBR said:

Hi Zoomer,

I check that and the file is a 2016 installer

i have send a mail to designexpress and i will call them tomorrow

thnx

Edward

Yesterday it was showing the US Installer for 2017 for windows even though the banner was not updated, so in theory it should work. I just checked and it looks like the system is suffering from overload.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Art V said:

Yesterday it was showing the US Installer for 2017 for windows even though the banner was not updated, so in theory it should work. I just checked and it looks like the system is suffering from overload.

The download on the Dutch vss site was to early placed.That is what my distributor (designexpress) told me.I must wait til 30 september than I can download the windows and Mac version.

Share this post


Link to post

I guess you have the Dutch version of VW? The US version should be available around the same time as in the US allowing for 1 or 2 days delay due to time zone differences and putting serial numbers into the VSS account etc.

Share this post


Link to post

Chiming in with another "thank you" to the NM/VW team(s) for VW2017.  I haven't installed 2017 yet, I think I'll wait for SP1 to drop first, but I can see enough from the new-features list and from the videos. Fantastic series of upgrades and improvements. As a landscape-oriented person I particularly look forward to the improved Plant tools and drainage tools.

This is my 3rd or 4th year on Service Select.  VW2016 was a worthy upgrade but a little heavy on the "bells and whistles" enterprise-oriented stuff, VW2017 is the first release where I, as a small-time 1-person shop feel fully on-board with the Service Select program. I no longer feel like I'm being pressured to pay annually for a "one time purchase" product license (or else suffer the long-term upgrade cost consequences.) I now see VSS as a reasonable arrangement that helps NM/VW assess my level of committment to VW as a multi-year / multi-decade platform which needs ongoing and cost-intensive development to stay useful & competitive. (And in some areas to outperform or simply outclass the competition.)

The new forums look great too by the way, thanks very much JimW and all.

Edited by Gilbert Osmond
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On a related but separate note, a question about restructuring of VW license costs now that Renderworks is included for ALL users:

Are those of us who were paying for RW licenses separately in past years going to see any cost reductions? I.e. I assume RW license fees will now be eliminated as a line-item and we will just pay a single fee for our chosen package (Architect, Spotlight, Designer, etc.) -- will our fees for those base packages stay the same (resulting in an effectively lower total cost because there's no RW license fee,)  -- or will the price for the base packages now increase to match whatever the Architect + RW, Designer + RW, Spotlight + RW, etc. fees were in past years?

Not sure if I'm being clear here, phrased differently, I'm concerned / hoping that whatever cost changes may come are fair to people who formerly paid a lot extra for RW, now that everybody is getting it included at no additional cost.

Edited by Gilbert Osmond
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Gilbert Osmond said:

On a related but separate note, a question about restructuring of VW license costs now that Renderworks is included for ALL users:

Are those of us who were paying for RW licenses separately in past years going to see any cost reductions? I.e. I assume RW license fees will now be eliminated as a line-item and we will just pay a single fee for our chosen package (Architect, Spotlight, Designer, etc.) -- will our fees for those base packages stay the same (resulting in an effectively lower total cost because there's no RW license fee,)  -- or will the price for the base packages now increase to match whatever the Architect + RW, Designer + RW, Spotlight + RW, etc. fees were in past years?

Not sure if I'm being clear here, phrased differently, I'm concerned / hoping that whatever cost changes may come are fair to people who formerly paid a lot extra for RW, now that everybody is getting it included at no additional cost.

For this you will have to speak directly to your sales rep. Since pricing differs by region/distributor and since this is an internationally visible site I can not discuss anything related to pricing here. Apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
On 16. September 2016 at 6:46 PM, Gilbert Osmond said:

On a related but separate note, a question about restructuring of VW license costs now that Renderworks is included for ALL users:

Are those of us who were paying for RW licenses separately in past years going to see any cost reductions? I.e. I assume RW license fees will now be eliminated as a line-item and we will just pay a single fee for our chosen package (Architect, Spotlight, Designer, etc.) -- will our fees for those base packages stay the same (resulting in an effectively lower total cost because there's no RW license fee,)  -- or will the price for the base packages now increase to match whatever the Architect + RW, Designer + RW, Spotlight + RW, etc. fees were in past years?

Not sure if I'm being clear here, phrased differently, I'm concerned / hoping that whatever cost changes may come are fair to people who formerly paid a lot extra for RW, now that everybody is getting it included at no additional cost.

I agree. Do we all have to talk to sales individually or is there any official information?

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/14/2016 at 9:59 AM, JimW said:

Attached is a complete list of the tasks that went into Vectorworks 2017. (I'm using an attachment because it would be an insanely long forum post.) If you have any questions about any of the specific tasks, give me the name or Id and I can explain them in full!

vwtasks_22 (2).xlsx

This link is down Jim. Can you repost it please?

Edited by bcd

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Thomas Wagensommerer said:

I agree. Do we all have to talk to sales individually or is there any official information?

There is official information, but it varies per distributor since their pricing structures weren't all the same before or after the change, so nothing can be accurately posted here.

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe a list of eMail Adresses for different countries ?

I don't now where to go to.
Currently I don't get answers from the german Forum as they may be quite busy with releasing their localized version of VW.
I didn't find anything in electronic form so far. Maybe I have to look for the real paper contracts somewhere.
My Select Service Site doesn't help either.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...