Vectorworks 2017

Looks like those are from US but somehow "managed" by the local distributors that sold them.
At least at the beginning.
Since newer releases I don't have much contact with these, (if at all ?).
I think the International Service Select Portal that provides my Serial Numbers doesn't
look different for "real" US citizens.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We actually generate ALL serial numbers here in the US from what I understand, then issue them in bulk to distributors through our management software whether they're localized versions or not. 

As to rollout schedules, some distributors delivering English I think are a day or two behind the US version, but I don't know which ones specifically, I'll check and see if that information is available publicly.

There is a Whats new 2017 webinar scheduled for the 20th.  I was assuming that would be about a week after the release - to give people some time to download it and click around.  I was thinking they might want to release a day ahead of the upgrade change to try and bait all the  <2013 people with all the nice new features....

I think the smart money is on tomorrow, with today or Thursday being plausible underdogs.  

1 minute ago, zoomer said:

While I don't really understand the release date being top secret.
so if no one knows that or when a new VW is released, many people will go for holidays
and maybe even won't notice release when coming back weeks later ....

I agree. I dislike keeping my mouth shut as you might have guessed.

Just now, zoomer said:

While I don't really understand the release date being top secret.
so if no one knows that or when a new VW is released, many people will go for holidays
and maybe even won't notice release when coming back weeks later ....

I think the only reason is because they don't know.  It gives them the freedom to delay by a day or two if need be.

While I can't talk about the release date specifically, I CAN share some info about the secrecy logic:

1) As @Tom Klaberguessed, sometimes this date moves last minute. One year it was only 3 days while another I think it jumped up or back more than a week with very little notice because of a shipping problem (this was when we still mainly sent DVDs)

2) Distributors that have localization to handle need extra time to do so, since they get passed the baton right when we finish, and we don't want to put any undue public pressure on them.

3) "If you never give a date, you're never late." I don't personally ascribe to this theory but lots of upper manager types seem to like it ;)

However, there are also a lot of marketing-related concerns with releasing a date publicly, doing so might affect sales, temporary/flash promos and other things like that. It's a LOT of things all together that keep the secrecy going.

For the time being i'm pushing mainly for openness of development as it pertains to features and design, the rollout schedule secrecy I don't harp on too much since it only really pinches around this time of year and isn't even given thought for the other 330-ish days.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, JimW said:

We actually generate ALL serial numbers here in the US from what I understand, then issue them in bulk to distributors through our management software whether they're localized versions or not. 

As to rollout schedules, some distributors delivering English I think are a day or two behind the US version, but I don't know which ones specifically, I'll check and see if that information is available publicly.

The VW2017 serial number is now in my VSS account as well.

If the release date is the 14th..... it is now the 14th when using UT time (GMT without DST), so that might be good enough to start spilling the beans about all the new features??? After all Universal Time applies to the entire planet, otherwise it wouldn't be universal, right?  ;)

1 minute ago, JimW said:

The Service Select portal is currently getting some final pokes and prods, if you hit any issues with it, please let me know. But otherwiiiiiiiiiise:

Renderworks for Everyone INDEED!

tumblr_n47d7f7uFv1rt5pgzo1_400.gif

Glad to see you are happy. So this is why the VSS portal was a bit slow earlier today. Does this mean you can now start disclosing the new features?

In the meantime while in VSS portal ......  F5, F5, F5 :D

1 minute ago, rDesign said:

I get an 'Insufficient Privileges' when I click on 'What's new in Vectorworks' - but seeing a Slab Drainage tool makes up for it.

I think people are really going to like Slab Drainage. It is pretty extensive and a lot of the intent was to solve our limitations regarding flat roofs!

6 minutes ago, Art V said:

Just checked my VSS account after Tom's post, it is showing in the downloads but no Mac/Windows selection option so downloading is not yet possible. :(

This is just a guess, but you may want to try some other browsers. Many times our UI issues on the Service Select portal are browser specific. I don't know this for sure but it is worth trying since a few others have gotten it working already.

3 minutes ago, JimW said:

This is just a guess, but you may want to try some other browsers. Many times our UI issues on the Service Select portal are browser specific. I don't know this for sure but it is worth trying since a few others have gotten it working already.

Unfortunately a different browser does not help, I tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge (all most recent versions) and no Mac/Windows selection button to see for downloads. Even disabled Ghostery in Chrome.