Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Co-ordinates, Insertion Points, Text and Weird Rounding Errors

• Marionette Maven

Before digging deeper, my first assumption is that this is because the Marionette object has its own coordinates, so when you insert the symbol into it, it reports back the location of the symbol within the object.

This is because when generating a Marionette object (or any PIO, really) a coordinate system exists solely for generating the geometry within the PIO, that way you can reference points within the object and still move it around freely as an object without breaking those references.

This might not be why though. I'll do some digging. This is just based off of things I've experienced working with Marionette.

Thanks Marissa. That makes sense. If you add a second symbol offset from the first into the Marionette object it seems to uphold your theory. This is really good information to know. It means you can't do a layout of symbols as a Marionette object if you need to access their coordinate information in a spreadsheet using traditional methods. It would need to be a standalone Marionette networks that generates geometry instead of a Marionette Object.

So in the case of the original Marionette object in this thread, the best approach is to add the record info to the Marionette object itself rather than the symbol. Then the object will return proper information in the spreadsheet/database.

Kevin

• Marionette Maven

Yes. You would want to add the record info to the Marionette object.

Another way to do this - if you don't want to have to manually do it - remember that PIO Handle node? Use that with the 'Attach Existing Record' node.

(I haven't tested this, but I'm 90% confident in it.)

You'll want to connect the two networks with a 'pass' node just so that it all runs together in your object. I would put this at the end of the two small scripts.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=16177&filename=ObjectRecord.JPG

Edited by MarissaF
Yes. You would want to add the record info to the Marionette object.

Another way to do this - if you don't want to have to manually do it - remember that PIO Handle node? Use that with the 'Attach Existing Record' node.

(I haven't tested this, but I'm 90% confident in it.)

You'll want to connect the two networks with a 'pass' node just so that it all runs together in your object. I would put this at the end of the two small scripts.

I can confirm it works. I did it in the last version of the Marionette object I posted in the other thread - https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=231204#Post231204

It was those experiments that caused the discovery about symbols, spreadsheets and coordinates.

(The other thing of note is you're using the Robert Anderson Parent PIO node, not the one that ships with VW.)

Kevin

• 2 months later...
On August 4, 2016 at 1:56 PM, MarissaF said:

I can try my best to answer your questions.

Rounding Errors: This is due to how numbers are stored within vectorworks. We are in the process of having displayed units adhere to the rounding set in the preferences. I haven't yet finished this.

Real Coordinates of Marionette Object: I've attached a file that I hope demonstrates what you're asking for.

Text Centering: I believe the attached file should also help with this. I can look into better improvements on the text node in general so that you wouldn't have to manually script this.

Insertion Point Coordinates: I don't think this is currently set up, but I may be incorrect. There are definitely ways to accomplish this though, with the currently library, if a user sets the object up correctly.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=16114&filename=CenteredTextWithActualLocation.JPG

@MarissaFDo you still have this file available?