Image export of viewport with finished render

Hello

As per one of the training videos, if I need an image file I tend to Export>image then draw marquee etc etc

But it's a bit tedious if I have 3 separate viewports on the same sheet layer having to do this each time I update the drawing.

Is there an automated way of exporting a rendered viewport as an image?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Not yet that I am aware of. I do this CONSTANTLY in my work and have put in that Viewports should either be able to export images directly via contextual menu, or that Publish be able to select individual viewports as sources for image/pdf export.

I do this CONSTANTLY in my work and have put in that Viewports should either be able to export images directly via contextual menu,

Yes, they should.

or that Publish be able to select individual viewports as sources for image/pdf export.

I thought that would be possible ?

Does it only work if you place each VP on an own Sheet (with correct size?)

• 2 years later...

Is it still the case that there's no way to export an image file directly from a viewport render?

By the way this method doesn't work for me -

On 8/5/2016 at 4:54 PM, markdd said:

You can of course right-click on the rendered viewport and COPY. Then paste the image into an image editor or another document.....

I seem to get the image at a lower resolution than the viewport.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Here is my personal recipe. If my goal is to create a rendering, say size 8.5x11". I set the sheet min res to 300dpi and after being done export the whole page as an image (tiff or png). Now, if my illustration is just an OpenGL, then I set the res to 600 dpi, this makes the lines, textures, and solids look gorgeous.

I must also mention that since the speed of our cloud is better than my laptop, I've been processing my files using publish.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:17 AM, Jonathan Pickup said:

why does it have to be a viewport?

Because I nearly always want a render at specific aspect ratio, with a specific crop, specific viewpoint, and specific render settings. And for most projects there will be a bunch of them all with different settings, viewpoints and so on. And I usually always have these things set up as a set of viewports which may well make up a page layout.

How are you suggesting it be done - with saved views?

1 hour ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

I was going to suggest batch rendering. you can create a batch render job with specific aspect ratio, with a specific crop, specific viewpoint, and specific render settings. 

You can set the renderings to run when you are not at your computer, say at night.

Ok. But if I already have a collection of SL render viewports set up, then to do this would mean setting each of those up from scratch again, and then maintaining edits/adjustments on two separate workflow streams, wouldn't it?

• 9 months later...

Returning to this issue once again....    *sigh*

Tried using the batch render method this time.

Unfortunately that consistently crashes VW. Oh well.

It seems the only way to actually do this - if you want to be able to get a consistent output, from a single viewport, is to give that viewport its own sheet layer, and then export that. As per 4th reply in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...