shell tool wishes

Bas Vellekoop

Question

Some wishes:

- ability to shell from the center of a polygon and nurbs surfaces

- shelled polygons should stay polygons if you 'ungroup' them. (now they become nurbs surfaces and those are allot harder to control and edit > using extract tool for this is not very helpful because radius are not 'clean' but have allot of vertexes)

- shell command should be part of the editing history (as for fillet en chamfer as well)

Edited by Bas Vellekoop

9 answers to this question

Jim, I think part of the issue here is terminology and that VW treats objects unequally. For example if its a polygon or polyline, then you can Extrude it but if its a NURBS surface or 3d polygon you need to Shell it to get the same results. In something like Rhino these operations would all be considered Extrude. (For a long time you could actually create an extrude from a NURBS in VW using the Tapered Extrude command, but it was a workaround.)

The second part of this is the ability to Shell or Extrude in two directions. For example, right now if I extrude 10 mm the extrude is created in one direction. If I do the same operation using -10mm the extrude operation happens in the opposite direction. What would be desired is the ability to "extrude both sides" where the net result of a 10mm extrude would be a shape running from -5mm to +5mm (eg. symmetrical about the original surface's centre plane). Image below showing what happens in Rhino when you extrude a rectangle with "both sides" turned on.

Kevin

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 9.18.09 AM.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Thanks @kevin for the clarification! You described it much better!

And I agree that its bit odd that you have the different options for shelling, extruding, tapered extruding.
For people new to VW its hard to understand why those different tools existed. The are probably good reasons for that but i think it would better that there is one extrude tool that gives different options depending on the kind of object you want to extrude/shell. (the same goes for add surface and add solid, wouldn't it be easier if that's the same command reacting differently depending on the 'input')

23 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Jim, I think part of the issue here is terminology and that VW treats objects unequally. For example if its a polygon or polyline, then you can Extrude it but if its a NURBS surface or 3d polygon you need to Shell it to get the same results. In something like Rhino these operations would all be considered Extrude. (For a long time you could actually create an extrude from a NURBS in VW using the Tapered Extrude command, but it was a workaround.)

The second part of this is the ability to Shell or Extrude in two directions. For example, right now if I extrude 10 mm the extrude is created in one direction. If I do the same operation using -10mm the extrude operation happens in the opposite direction. What would be desired is the ability to "extrude both sides" where the net result of a 10mm extrude would be a shape running from -5mm to +5mm (eg. symmetrical about the original surface's centre plane). Image below showing what happens in Rhino when you extrude a rectangle with "both sides" turned on.

Kevin

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 9.18.09 AM.png

• Like 1

I not completly sure i get what you mean, but what I meant:

Example:

I want to create this image, or rafters underneath a curved roof:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor vectorworks 2016

If i want to create rafters underneath a curved roof i use the contour tool to get the curves from the nurbsurface or subdivision object.
These curves are  the middle of the wanted rafters.
At the moment the shell extrudes to one side, the in- or outside, depending on wich mode you choose.
I would like to have the abilty to extrude  half to inside and half to the outside so that the contour is in the middle of the solid that is created.

The same for  shelling polygons: beside the option to shell to the inside or outside it should have an option to shell to both sides.

(At the moment not behind VW so if i didnt explain it clear enough I will create a mock-up of the wanted result, just let me know :) )

On 9/15/2016 at 9:18 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

The second part of this is the ability to Shell or Extrude in two directions. For example, right now if I extrude 10 mm the extrude is created in one direction. If I do the same operation using -10mm the extrude operation happens in the opposite direction. What would be desired is the ability to "extrude both sides" where the net result of a 10mm extrude would be a shape running from -5mm to +5mm (eg. symmetrical about the original surface's centre plane).

It'd be great if this were possible for Extrudes as well: