Real world tools for working in 3d views

Kevin McAllister

Question

Jim,

The "useless" bounding box I'm describing happens when I work with a 3d object while set to Screen Plane. I work this way because the snaps are better and there's no danger of the object shifting in and out of the plane. Its part of the Layer Plane / Screen Plane mess......

Here's some screen shots of a drag move and a rotation.

Kevin

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=16109&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-08-04%20at%209.59.18%20AM.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=16111&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-08-04%20at%209.59.03%20AM.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Agreed. Currently to get this level of manipulation you have to change views like crazy and hop between the rotate and selection tools, as well as using scaling menu commands. Having all these actions available as a single UI element is clearly superior.

Adding this thread to an existing item one of our engineers submitted internally recently.

• Like 1

In case the first part of Kevin's wishlist post was skipped over:

- the ability to move a 3d object by dragging without it turning into a meaningless bounding box.

Will the VGM changes announced for Vw2017 have any impact on improving graphic response in 3D modes, or will the new performance gains be seen only in Top / Plan (2D) mode?

Thanks.

What object turns into another object type after being moved? Or is this referring to using push/pull on an existing extrude converting to a generic solid or something similar? (I did miss that bit)

Will the VGM changes announced for Vw2017 have any impact on improving graphic response in 3D modes, or will the new performance gains be seen only in Top / Plan (2D) mode?

3D wont be as majorly sped up as 2D but some aspects of 3D will use your GPU a little more efficiently in 2017. There likely wont be much more mention of this in the release materials (it isn't a huge obvious feature that you can easily point to in all cases) but there are lots of small tweaks engineering keeps adding to VGM that speed things up in small doses, now that those are starting to add up it'll be noticeable especially if the user jumps ahead a few versions at once.

Graphics hardware requirements will be increasing as well, I think next version we will be requiring proper dedicated graphics cards, many users try to get by with integrated Intel graphics and those cards are becoming more and more obviously outclassed as we increase GPU utilization.

I've never used Rhino - does clicking the gumball/dagger always result in the pop-up to type in the desired change? Or can you also just click and drag interactively?

Whenever I use SketchUp (which is rarely), I find that the interactive moving and rotation of objects is WAY WAY WAY more intuitive than in Vectorworks. It's one of the only things I prefer in SketchUp, though SketchUp wins by a landslide.

Cinema4D also has a similar gumball/dagger interface.

Since a version of it exists in the Subdivision tool, can we please get it elsewhere? When the Subdivision tool was first introduced I assumed it would be "on the way," but here we are a few years later...

This is one of those "basic" functions that should just exist already 🙂

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 4

It's one of my favorite UI elements in design software. We will definitely see it used in more places, but I am not sure how soon. Part of switching over Selection graphics and Tool Graphics (this thing, the rotate tool widget, the subdivision TRIAD which is not as good of a name as gumball) is that we can add more items like this that overlay and don't take completely over the UI like the flyover tool has to.

• Like 4