Andrew Davies

3DConnexion Mouse

On 8/1/2016 at 6:20 AM, Andrew Davies said:

But I am struggling to get it to work well with Vectorworks. I set it up as per these settings

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1173/3Dconnexion+SpaceNavigator+-+Recommended+Configuration+-+(Mac+OS+X)

Does anyone have a configuration that is working well on Mac with VectorWorks 2017?

Can you export your config file ?

I'm trying all permutations again - and getting frustrated (again!)

thank you

Ethan

Anyone else having problems or strange behavior with 10.4.2 driver ?

My CAD Mouse got more and more missing LMB clicks + unwanted double clicks.

May be a hardware problem.

But also Enterprise started to mix macros or button assignments. Also 3D Navigation

got nuts and felt like 2000% accelerated.

So I un/reinstalled and restarted back and forth many times, including deleting all hidden

settings and prefs. So my tedious settings for 3 Apps are gone now and I have 12 new

C4D Macros of commands I never need.

Enterprise seems to work but the CADMouse is still unusable.

Put both back in the cabinet again. Will try with 10.4.3 again.

i can't seem to make this work for me also....i have persevered with the mouse but have gone back to manaul navigation with my mac mouse

You also had problems with the CADMouse ?

I only heard one on their forums that mentioned problems with LMB clicks.

Yesterday was enough, I couldn't imagine how terrible missed clicks or unwanted

double clicks can be. Today I am still afraid clicking, although all other mice work reliable.

I find that everything works fine when using 3Dconnexion's own "trainer" software. All perfectly smooth and as it should be so it seems unlikely there's a hardware problem. (Does the same apply to the CADmouse?)

The problem seems to come in its interaction with VW, somehow.

Edited by line-weight

Something is absolutely broken. Using 2017 SP1 on OS X 10.11.6 with the 3DxWare 10.4.2 I am unable to make the SpaceNavigator behave at all. Not only do the inputs seem wrong, it does not appearing to be redrawing properly during the erroneous movements. Filing a new bug now. VB-137869

I do not see the same problem in 2016.

Honestly I deleted all these Apps as 10.4.2 brought that ugly annoying welcome screen after a reboot,

that does ignore the "show every start" deactivation checkbox.

I tried the Enterprise Trainer. Smooth but it was set to very conservative speed.

The Enterprise 3D Bubble works as smoothly as the old 3D Navigator in Modo.

For C4D I don't find comfortable speed settings. It is similar than in VW, usable but not so natural.

Edited by zoomer

14 minutes ago, JimW said:

Something is absolutely broken. Using 2017 SP1 on OS X 10.11.6 with the 3DxWare 10.4.2 I am unable to make the SpaceNavigator behave at all. Not only do the inputs seem wrong, it does not appearing to be redrawing properly during the erroneous movements. Filing a new bug now.

Do you have a Spacepilot Pro you can try out at your end?

Jim, do you know how the your VW support will look like ?

Don't know if it is different for Windows.

But after deleting my own tedious made Macro settings, I now got a new C4D Setup by clean install.

C4D + some other (uninteresting) Apps.

I see that every App provided exactly 12 Command Macros only for these 12 buttons.

While "Macros" are needed to allow a Keystroke + an additional useful Description on Display.

(Assigned per Keystroke only, it will show the key combination on display only)

And all these Macros for all Apps are mixed into one single list.

You have to use name prefixes to group them for alphabetical sorting.

(They did like e.g. "Cinema Hyperbevel" "Autocad Draw Line")

So this way It would not make much sense if a Software would deliver 150 Macros to choose

yourself because you wouldn't find these again.

But if I watch the C4D Presets, there is no single command I would have chosen by myself.

Will VW also have to provide 12 Macros only ?

So will VW sit in a meeting and need to decide which are the 12 must have commands that

the majority of VW users, that use an Enterprise too, will need to survive ?

:)

Edited by zoomer

I have a SpaceNavigator and an Enterprise version, they exhibit the exact same problems for me here on my machine. They're mapped almost identically as far as the joystick portion is concerned so I would expect similar problems on the entire range.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimW said:

I have a SpaceNavigator and an Enterprise version, they exhibit the exact same problems for me here on my machine. They're mapped almost identically as far as the joystick portion is concerned so I would expect similar problems on the entire range.

Ok, thanks.

Strangely, as explained in my post a few days ago, my obsolete - and not officially supported on mac - old version Spacepilot behaves better than my new, current-model Spacepilot Pro.

In the 3DxWare preference pane, under the Tools tab, what firmware version does it list for you? Mine is 3.18

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 9.54.54 AM.png

When I plug the Spacepilot Pro in... Firmware 4.11

When I plug the old Spacepilot in... Firmware 3.12

Although, the process of unplugging/replugging totally crashed my computer for some reason!

BTW,

Space Navigator as well as Enterprise work well here with 2017 SP1 with default settings,

as long as "overall speed" is dimmed to between the most left 2 scale lines.

Beside that the axis are mixed up (why ?)

Edited by zoomer

Glad to hear its not just me.  I bought an Enterprise based on all the rave reviews I've heard about this thing and because of Jim's comment that they are working on building full Enterprise support .  Although it seems to work in the demo and other software that I don't care about, I have NEVER been able to get it to work properly in VW.    I just use it as paper weight on my desk as i wait for that day.

23 hours ago, line-weight said:

I find that everything works fine when using 3Dconnexion's own "trainer" software. All perfectly smooth and as it should be so it seems unlikely there's a hardware problem. (Does the same apply to the CADmouse?)

The problem seems to come in its interaction with VW, somehow.

100% - if it worked in VectorWorks like the space Navigator does in the demo software, it would be a dream.

It's pretty much why I purchased in the first place!

Fix is coming. Meanwhile here is the conf I use. Same works for 2017. This is the bad boy I use daily. Now, here is my tip, in order to make all the buttons work I assign special shortcuts to my favorite functions in vwx and match via macro to my the 3dnavigator. Yes, I created a my own custom workspace. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 5.32.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 9.08.04 AM.png

3Dx_SpaceMouse_Enterprise_ISOleft.jpg

Edited by Luis M Ruiz

For me it does after I deleted my pre-10.4.2 preferences and did some clean un/installs.

You have to care about the "overall speed" setting being low enough in the first tab of

the driver suite. For "Any App" or your custom VW settings.

(Which you may need to mix up the axis to be Vectorworkish)

5 minutes ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

Fix is coming. Meanwhile here is the conf I use.

Luis,

using standard axis assignments doesn't work for me at all in walk or fly mode.

Do you use already a fixed VW version ?

He most likely is.

I have also noticed a significant difference in behavior of the SpaceNavigator when i have different levels of Navigation Graphics set which should not be the case.

And now after switching that Navigation Graphics option on and off a few times, I can't get the broken behavior to come back, its now working perfectly.

Going to try a few complete resets and see if I can nail down whats happening. If not I will pass it off to engineering again.

Just now, line-weight said:

Changing the Navigation Graphics 

Ahm, what and where is that exactly ?

Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics

It automagically "fixed" the issue I was having, however even when I return the setting to Best Compatibility, the issue does not recur, so most likely the setting is resetting the VGM entirely which may be the actual root of the issue. Trying to find a follow-able series of steps that any user can use to completely reset everything reliably.