Andrew Davies

3DConnexion Mouse

zoomer -

Agreed (except I'd have "helicopter" instead of "flyover" for the last one)

Edited by line-weight

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

The "f" button should put me straight into an orthogonal front view. Perhaps even a wireframe one too. Would be good if this could be user-configurable if not the default.

I'm not in front of my Mac now but I am sure you can change this for a keystroke in 3DConnexion preferences

It seems like it invokes the command in Vectorworks for "Front" view, and then obeys the default projection setting. I agree that when using a device like this a different behavior would be desired. I'm going to eat dogfood with my basic SpaceNavigator for awhile (nerd term for using this specific thing a bunch personally) for my next few projects and get a clear picture of what can be customized via a combination of device and Vectorworks settings and what we need to add more control for.

18 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

I'm not in front of my Mac now but I am sure you can change this for a keystroke in 3DConnexion preferences

Yes, but as far as I know there's no keystroke for standard views (except cmd-5 for top/plan) and no keystrokes for projection types either. Let alone a keystroke that will set view *and* projection.

In the configuration settings, some of the options for the radial menus (Im using the radial menus since my device only has the two buttons and two radial menus gives me the most additional possible options) are linked directly to these commands, so you dont need to daisy chain them to a shortcut key:

58dd2e6b8f89f_ScreenShot2017-03-30at12_11_20PM.png.a9d1597cd3804054c28076c7c4817ab8.png

This doesn't solve the projection AND the view, just the view using whatever the default projection is set to.

25 minutes ago, JimW said:

This doesn't solve the projection AND the view, just the view using whatever the default projection is set to.

Default projection is not something that's user-configurable, is that right?

That you can set both in QuickPrefs as well as Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display but Saved View projections will override this default projection if you change views that way rather than using the Standard Views.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

That you can set both in QuickPrefs as well as Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display but Saved View projections will override this default projection if you change views that way rather than using the Standard Views.

Hm, that lets me set what happens when I go from top/plan to a 3d view... but not what happens when I switch from perspective to one of the pre-assigned "top" "front" views on the 3DC.

That's different behavior than I'm seeing, to confirm, whats the whole name of the device you're using? Theres a chance they may behave different and I can go grab a test model of the same type you have.

Im used the Wired SpaceNavigator.

4 hours ago, line-weight said:

zoomer -

Agreed (except I'd have "helicopter" instead of "flyover" for the last one)

I think everyone beside me loves Helicopter.

I don't want that it will be taken away,

just that we can choose (permanently)

The Enterprise View buttons do nothing else than the Numblock numbers do.

Before latest VW App settings in Enterprise, I mapped them manually by using the

NumBlock Numbers.

If you are in a Perspective Iso and tap Front, it is like pressing Num+2,

you enter in a "Front Perspective".

While Top Plan View has its special illustration Style and abilities,

alle vertical orthogonal Views aren't able to do anything.

No Sections, clipping planes, hard to work with 2D geometry, ....

You just use them in orthogonal wireframe to check some objects heights.

If these vertical Views are in Perspective Mode or OpenGL Mode, they even can't do this.

Therefore I renounce of Perspective Mode everywhere, even in pure 3D or Isometrics.

But I understand that people, in rare cases will want to see every View other than Top Plan

as a 3D View (even perspective and shaded mode) - and maybe use these as a start View

for 3D navigation.

Edited by zoomer

3 hours ago, JimW said:

That's different behavior than I'm seeing, to confirm, whats the whole name of the device you're using? Theres a chance they may behave different and I can go grab a test model of the same type you have.

Im used the Wired SpaceNavigator.

Wired Spacemouse Pro.

I'm not quite clear where the different behaviour you're seeing is though... the limitation seems to be in the settings available in VW prefs, rather than to do with the device?

If I'm in a perspective view, and I press the "F" button on the spacemouse I get a front view but perspective projection. I don't see what settings I could change in prefs to make this come up as an othogonal projection instead.

Basically what happens when I press that F button is the same as what happens if I select "front" from the views dropdown.

Edited by line-weight

Morning all

I've been playing around a little more with the various settings this morning (I have been so head down in projects recently I haven't had time to mess about with settings).  I'm using the Space Mouse Pro Wireless.

It seems there are the following Navigation settings :

Ortho views

• 2D
  • Target Camera Mode
  • Object Mode

Perspective Views

• 2D
  • Object Mode
  • Helicopter
  • Target Camera Mode
  • Camera Mode

I wish this could be simplified (though know it's a 3DConnexion thing - not a Vectorworks thing) as it just seems confusing.  Don't use 2D at all (only just found the Switch rotations on/off button - that caused quite a few frustrated moments these past weeks! 😳😳😳) and don't see the need for both Helicopter and Camera modes.  Can't even work out the difference between Object Mode, Target Camera Mode and Camera mode.

Or am I missing something fundamental?

4 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

Morning all

I've been playing around a little more with the various settings this morning (I have been so head down in projects recently I haven't had time to mess about with settings).  I'm using the Space Mouse Pro Wireless.

It seems there are the following Navigation settings :

Ortho views

• 2D
  • Target Camera Mode
  • Object Mode

Perspective Views

• 2D
  • Object Mode
  • Helicopter
  • Target Camera Mode
  • Camera Mode

I wish this could be simplified (though know it's a 3DConnexion thing - not a Vectorworks thing) as it just seems confusing.  Don't use 2D at all (only just found the Switch rotations on/off button - that caused quite a few frustrated moments these past weeks! 😳😳😳) and don't see the need for both Helicopter and Camera modes.  Can't even work out the difference between Object Mode, Target Camera Mode and Camera mode.

Or am I missing something fundamental?

It is indeed confusing! I'm not sure that it's true that it's a 3dconnexion thiing rather than a VW thing though.

I basically only ever use helicopter mode, in perspective.

Camera mode seems similar to Helicopter but doesn't keep the horizon straight so is like flying the helicopter drunk.

Target Camera and Object modes are similar in that they rotate the viewpoint around the model. Object mode seems to rotate around the 0,0 origin (so not much use for anything except very small objects) and target mode - I think - rotates around whatever object you have selected in the model.

It is annoying that the navigation sometimes seems to flip into modes I don't want - I then have to go through them all to get back to Helicopter. I've not found a way of locking it to Helicopter.

Edited by line-weight

6 minutes ago, line-weight said:

It is annoying that the navigation sometimes seems to flip into modes I don't want - I then have to go through them all to get back to Helicopter. I've not found a way of locking it to Helicopter.

That's kind of the conclusion I came to - why so many modes though!

Hope this is improved for 2018 - a way of locking it to a certain mode - the 3D mouse driver functionality has come on a lot since I started using it though.

Thanks,

Andrew

Friends.

Just use Helicopter Mode, for vwx that is the best way to start getting use to the navigator.

I going to push for changing the name to "Drone Mode" that seems more current.

ah, something else I forgot. Try configurating your buttons to tools or modes that make sense to you, don't get stuck with something you don't need. My small navigator has Left button set to radial menus with rendering modes and Right button with switching projections between isometric and perspective. Remember, helicopter mode works great in perspective.

Just watched Jim's video about 3D Space Mouse settings on the VSS Portal (Training>Tips and tricks).  Great video as always Jim.

I see that the demo is done on the Space Mouse Enterprise model.  I also watched a review of the enterprise and it looks really nice (am tempted).

In particular, the 3 x view buttons.  On the review I watched on YouTube, you set these to a view by holding them down for a second or two.  From then on - pressing that view button briefly, took you to that programmed view.  Now that looks cool.  I can see that being a real selling point.  Very useful.

Anyone know if this is this supported in Vectorworks?  I think the demo I saw was using Solidworks. @zoomerI think I remember you saying you have one?

Also - anyone know if the Icons on the Enterprise are now supported in Vectorworks?

Thanks,
Andrew

I use both devices. All shortcuts assigned to the buttons makes modeling and viewing go faster.

icons? Negative, no yet, just names.

I have one, currently back in the cupboard again :)

That "Save(ed) View" mode by pressing View123 buttons for some seconds worked

for me in VW.

Not sure if there are VW Icons on Enterprise Displays under Windows already,

on Mac there are at least no Icons at all for any App.

And maybe these won't ever come on Mac.

Edited by zoomer

On 03/09/2017 at 5:13 PM, zoomer said:

I have one, currently back in the cupboard again :)

Why?  Did you not like it?

I've got the enterprise kit arriving tomorrow. 

I don't find the Enterprise keys positions around the bubble very ergonomically and don't really

need the 3D navigation.

So I went back to my Wacom Remote for extra keys.

Also I had tight deadlines lately and worked with Cintiq upright and CADMouse and keyboard.

Then there is no need for extra keys for me at all.

I like it clean and simple, so currently back to Pen on flat horizontal Display and Keyboard only.

Wacom Remote mostly sleeping. I use Fit View in VW or Safari backwards from time to time :$

As I use Pen Input,

I had to pull out all needed "Commands", that VW hides in the Top Menu, into my RMB Option Menu.

That works reasonable.

I have this file where I am replacing boxes for 3d projects we've done over these past months.  Actually thanks to "project sharing" many collaborators are providing a large contribution.

Navigation using these devices has really no comparison. The only drawback is that I am personally becoming so dependent on these gadgets, more productive yes but spoiled at the same time :) 

drone_navigation.mp4

I'm actually a bit mystified why they aren't more popular. To me they seem essential as soon as you're working properly in 3D.

• Like 1

Just received my Enterprise kit (with the regular mouse). Too busy to try it out  but looking forward to giving it a go. If the view buttons work as advertised it will be a real boon

Like the most basic object manipulations,

like move, rotate* and scale,

I am doing the same options for Viewport Navigation since 20+ years

and never missed anything.

And that is what I want the 3DConnexion devices to do.

Move, Rotate* and Zoom.

But especially with that they are doing hard.

(In C4D and especially VW - have to reverse all axes)

*With View Rotation I mean the same rotation as in the past,

rotating Geometry and not myself, around a View Center,

without any orbit rotation = called lock horizon.

I never had any interested in any fly over the last 18 years and

still don't have today.

So if I am forced to have my left hand on the keyboard anyway

and have that function, why should I walk between keyboard and

3D Bubble ....

And those things are about 400 €.

Edited by zoomer