3DConnexion Mouse

I have the Enterprise unplugged anyway.

No much extra benefit but arbitrarily awakes my Mac from sleep.

So I deleted my VW settings to see what's new.

Not bad.

All VW commands don't come over the dumb macro list but as separate "Application Commands"

in the Button Assignment Tab. Great.

So there aren't those 12 "macros" per App only as you are used and that may not fit your personal

needs but a pretty long list to choose from.

Would like to know where it is,

maybe I could add some for other Apps like C4D that do not provide "Application Commands"

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

All VW commands don't come over the dumb macro list but as separate "Application Commands"

in the Button Assignment Tab. Great.

Ah, ok, I have found them. I didn't need to delete or remake my custom VW2017 setting - they appear as an option under the button assignment tab as you say. This is useful.

• 2 months later...
Guest Wes Gardner

@ Andrew Davies:

Here's a youtube link.  Luis here on the mother ship has his all tricked out and working... I believe he's been a beta tester for them...you can probably email him if you have questions - Lruiz@vectorworks.net

Edited by Wes Gardner
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello 3d fanatics.

Yes, I've been using these devices for a couple of years and this one is newest baby. Can't live without it. And yes, it made my modeling much faster and fun but I have to share some insides, I had to create a special workspace (copy of Architect) and add some shortcuts so I can create special macros. I think I added must of them to my favorite tools and menus keys (LCD display). Here is a pict of how I configured it. 

58d4048a01a97_ScreenShot2017-03-23at1_19_26PM.png.3cb1288bdb25a1b1d55cb477d6468788.png

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Luis!

Good to see it's fully supported. I've got the version down from that. Wireless, with 4 function keys but no LCD display. Will probably stick with that for a little while. 

But keen to know how you get your left / front buttons to also do right / rear?   Which is the modifier key? would be keen to do that on mine too. 

Very interesting Luis, thank you.

Also interesting to see you have included multiple extrude in there - not a command that I've seen being used much in practice.

With so much pent-up demand in the VW world perhaps now, with 2017 SP3 just released and compatibility assured, it is a great time to negotiate a special VWusers' discount for this.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, bcd said:

With so much pent-up demand in the VW world perhaps now, with 2017 SP3 just released and compatibility assured, it is a great time to negotiate a special VWusers' discount for this.

Yesssss yessss I love a good collaboration discount. :x

I'll give the Sales director a shake and see what comes of it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

But keen to know how you get your left / front buttons to also do right / rear?   Which is the modifier key? would be keen to do that on mine too. 

@Andrew Daviesif you look closely to the view keys, these have a box with a letter and a small letter in blue color, this means that if I press the key at a normal speed I can switch to a view, say right but if I keep holding the key down a bit longer I invoke Left. Same aspects with the other keys. Totally I have at my disposal 35 shortcuts. That also means I am getting lazy at moving the mouse, click the menu and scroll until I find what I need.

58d43f1e780f3_ScreenShot2017-03-23at5_32_48PM.png.cf9fe082c2cfd642b6198b9f899f1300.png

Thanks Luis!!

If you look closely, you can also see that V1, V2, V3 buttons have those blue smaller camera icon on them. You can quickly save the current view into the save view system by holding the button, say V1, for few seconds. Later, you can go back to that saved view by pressing and releasing the button quickly.

20 hours ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

@Andrew Daviesif you look closely to the view keys, these have a box with a letter and a small letter in blue color, this means that if I press the key at a normal speed I can switch to a view, say right but if I keep holding the key down a bit longer I invoke Left. Same aspects with the other keys. Totally I have at my disposal 35 shortcuts. That also means I am getting lazy at moving the mouse, click the menu and scroll until I find what I need.

58d43f1e780f3_ScreenShot2017-03-23at5_32_48PM.png.cf9fe082c2cfd642b6198b9f899f1300.png

Bobbins - mine doesn't have those blue icons - and holding the key down doesn't switch.  Oh well - can't have everything!

20 hours ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 18.04.04.png

@Luis M RuizHi Luis - Any more pointers on best practices using the 3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro Wireless?  For example - the "Switch Navigation" Button (Button 1 for me) - that's so confusing!  I get 2d Navigation - but what's the difference between "Target Camera Mode" and "Object Mode" Navigation?  They seem rotate the model in the opposite direction to each other.  I would rather just have one mode so I can get used to to just one way of operating it!

I think it would be nice to have the 3D Mode Settings for the device from within VW

by its quick settings bar. I want to use "Flyover Mode" only.

Currently I have to switch 3D Mode every time I enter VW or a File from Walkthrough

back to Flyover.

It is ok that a 2D Top Plan View works always in the "2D Mode"

I even would like a setting to automatically assign that 2D mode to all orthogonal

2D (!) Views like Front, Back, Left, Right, Top and Bottom.

Try switching your view to perspective normal and set navigation mode to helicopter. It seems to me this is the only way I work with it now. Rare for me to model in isometric or attempting to rotate objects to add or select geometry surfaces.

Thanks Luis,

I will recheck my settings when I'm back.

The standard Button to switch between 3D Modes is the "menu" (?) button.

(The one lowest on the left)

I think in Perspective Views the default would be Flyover as I prefer.

I like to use 3D Views in Isometrics with perspective off.

I just don't like it that VW defaults to the Walkthrough mode.

BTW,

there is a 10.4.4 Driver Update for Mac users out now.

(From March 9)

@Luis M Ruiz

OK, larger changes for 3DConnexion usage.

The menu button to change between these 3 : Flyover, Walkthrough and 2D mode disappeared

in either SP3 or 10.4.4. It now brings Space Settings like I'm used from my other Apps.

Fine, as I use Flyover only anyway.

I see no (more) differences between Isometrics and Perspectives now.

So I should get my wished behavior by simply mirroring all axis.

EDIT :

Works ok for me now.

What I miss,

when I am in my Flyover tool, or temporary by MMB+CTRL, in Selected Mode,

Flyover Rotates around that Selection.

Space Nav will not set the rotation center. It will only use such a selection center,

when done by the Flyover tool before.

(Although Space Nav shows that Custom Origin Icon in the Selection Center.

Also the View Center Mode rotation origin does not work.

I would like to have always View Center Origin, except when there is a Selection.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
On 24/03/2017 at 6:34 PM, Andrew Davies said:

@Luis M RuizHi Luis - Any more pointers on best practices using the 3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro Wireless?  For example - the "Switch Navigation" Button (Button 1 for me) - that's so confusing!  I get 2d Navigation - but what's the difference between "Target Camera Mode" and "Object Mode" Navigation?  They seem rotate the model in the opposite direction to each other.  I would rather just have one mode so I can get used to to just one way of operating it!

I have the SpaceMouse Pro as well.

Have just updated to SP3 and also updated the 3dConnexion driver to 10.4.4. I've set the mouse to the VW defaults for now. They seem better than before. This should make life a lot easier for people starting to use the 3DC devices for the first time (previously had to fiddle about with the settings manually and make them match a screenshot in a Knowledgebase article, not ideal).

Previously the "menu" button on my SpaceMouse Pro did the switch between navigation types which as you say is now mapped to the button 1 as default.

Like Lius M Ruiz I always use "Helicopter" mode and normal perspective. The only time I have been using the "switch navigation" button up till now is to get back into helicopter mode when VW throws me into some other mode unexpectedly, which is annoying. Going to see if that bad habit has disappeared with these latest updates.

As mentioned on another thread, I have found that I need to set design layers to a scale of 1:1 in order to make navigation manageable at close quarters (if say I have layers set at 1:50 then navigation when looking closely at details is unuseably jumpy).

• Like 2

Unfortunately and fortunately, Vectorworks allows you to set different scales for different layers. The 3d navigator to me feels ultra slow when creating shapes 1:1 scale, probably good for testing and learning volume creation and navigating at same time, I'd recommend this for beginners, but the majority of the projects I create are set to 1/4" scale or 1/8", yes the navigator moves mega fast, so in that case I go back to my 3dconnexion settings and move the speed slider to 25%.

About tips, since 2015 OpenGL responds really nice and love it when I model using ambient occlusion, great to view shapes with no color. Now, again, OpenGL, since navigation and modeling is the reason for me to seat in front of this screen I set my options to medium, yes to edges, no anti-aliasing and probably no shadows or no textures, that depends when I am at with the design, with these ease settings I can get things done and move around without hiccups.

Another tip, get use to not only navigating, try creating objects using push/pull and ultimately get on Subdivision objects, this stuff is meant for that tool exactly. Give it time.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 3.01.47 PM.png

Edited by Luis M Ruiz
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

Unfortunately and fortunately, Vectorworks allow you to set different scale for different layers. The 3d navigator to me feels ultra slow when creating shapes 1:1 scale, probably good for testing and learning volume creation and navigating at same time, I'd recommend this for beginners, but the majority of the projects I create are set to 1/4" scale or 1/8", yes the navigator moves mega fast, so in that case I go back to my 3dconnexion settings and move the speed slider to 25%.

It's a bit complicated because it's not just about the overall speed but the "miminum speed" you hit when you want to go very slowly. The range of possible speeds doesn't go down to zero so setting the speed slider to slower doesn't solve the problem. I only recently discovered that changing the design layer scale can help (whilst of course causing problems elsewhere). This is all discussed in this thread:

If there was some way of improving this it would make me very happy.

Edited by line-weight