Articulating Symbols

digitalcarbon

Question

Kevin, what would be needed is not 2 states of on or off but constraints that we would add to a symbol that would allow for fast articulation.

a rotation & slider constraint with stops would cover a lot

then you just need a "grab" Tool (looks like a hand) that allows you to grab and articulate only

Isn't this the intent of create PIO option during Symbol creation? I think the excavator would need a symbol for the bucket, one for the arms and 1 for each articulation "half". Then the PIO wrapper would need 2 or 3 scripts corresponding to fields in the info palette. One the loader arm angle, one for the bucket angle, one for the steering angle.

Similar could probably apply to the drawer in/out.

I'm guessing that the PIO symbol/wrapper is more processor intensive than a simple symbol instance.

I am totally ignorant of the scripting process, so this is a guess.

-B

Isn't this the intent of create PIO option during Symbol creation? I think the excavator would need a symbol for the bucket, one for the arms and 1 for each articulation "half". Then the PIO wrapper would need 2 or 3 scripts corresponding to fields in the info palette. One the loader arm angle, one for the bucket angle, one for the steering angle.

Similar could probably apply to the drawer in/out.

I'm guessing that the PIO symbol/wrapper is more processor intensive than a simple symbol instance.

I am totally ignorant of the scripting process, so this is a guess.

-B

Benson, this may well be possible as a Marionette network. An interesting idea. Kevin

sorry guys... but no scripts... nor object info palette control

just need 2 "movement" objects for starters

just need a circle w/ the ability to add stops then insert this "movement" object into a symbol and show that this is connect to that by-way-of this "movement" object

then when out of the symbol you select the "grab" tool (which is a hand) and then articulate the symbol

writing scripts and linking to OIP is blah

also if BIMObjects is taking over for all objects then they need to have this in their models

sorry guys... but no scripts... nor object info palette control

just need a circle w/ the ability to add stops then insert this "movement" object into a symbol and show that this is connect to that by-way-of this "movement" object

then when out of the symbol you select the "grab" tool (which is a hand) and then articulate the symbol

writing scripts and linking to OIP is blah

also if BIMObjects is taking over for all objects then they need to have this in their models

So more like 3d constraints. The thing I like about your approach is that items could be articulated by a client using a viewer......... there's no question that simpler, more user friendly is better.

KM

You would not even except OIP control? You are tough!

Maybe it is not as big a deal as it sounds - and maybe these articulating pins would be more broadly useful that I am thinking...

But man, I just want a stair tool that works....

I often see this request by architects. I have to draw stairs all the time but they are always custom so I just model them manually which is way quicker. This week it was curved ship's ladders. I guess the stair tool helps with the 2d/3d aspect.....

How about a stair tool with no OIP control..... now that I'd like to see.....

KM

• Like 1

[Not intending to take this thread off-topic]

I agree that stairs are "custom" in that they're different every time. Usually once the overall design of the stair has been approved (meaning no changes), I'll convert the Custom Stair PIO to a group and finish the stair design by direct modeling it from there.

The problem with modeling-by-hand from the start is when you have to make design changes to the stair, you have to basically start over. It misses the entire point of designing with parametric objects, where you can revise the overall configuration of the object without changing the design details.

The current stair PIO objects technically "work", just not very well. They are the opposite of user-friendly, which I would wholeheartedly support.

[back on-topic]

Kevin, i model stairs custom also.. please note above.

rDesign, i do understand your point about quick adjusts through the OIP

BUT here is what i have experienced. while the stair tool allows for fast adjust the failure is in all the viewport that it is in on the drawing sheet that i needed to go around and mask and patch funky parametric stuff. THIS causes you to lose out on any time savings you gain by parametric (its a false savings)

when i model anything custom i never ever, ever worry about how it will look in plan, elevation, section. it always looks good.

since i went on my own in dec 2014 i have not used any parametric objects. and if i do for starters i end up replacing them soon. (granted i am doing mostly industrial work)

if i had a house job i may be tempted to use the wall, window & door tool and live with the limitations. but i do know how to work without them and i would be tempted to try.

imagine a door symbol that had door slab, frame, hinges, kick, knobs, push bar etc that could all be seen in the model and on a spread sheet. i know how to do this easy.

I can see a use for plug-in objects to have the ability to have preset open / closed / in-between positions - especially if this would be able to be individually controlled per object per viewport.

An example of how preset positions could be helpful: For exterior elevations (section viewports) I typically show all door PIO as 'closed' but for 3D perspectives I would want just some of the doors to be 'open'.

Right now to do this, I have to either manually change each Door PIO 'show 3D open' setting inbetween printing each Sheet, or I have to create a duplicate set of doors where one is classed as Doors-Open and the other as Doors-Closed. Then I turn one class or the other off in the VP, depending on what I want to see. I just have to make sure my Door schedules only look at one set of the doors.

^^^ This is not a very user-friendly workflow and could be improved by having preset open positions.

What you're describing is basically inverse kinematics (IK), where you specify the joints, the range-of-motion for those joints and then the rigid bones connecting those joints. Most dedicated 3D animation software packages can do IK, but it's complicated to rig the structure correctly and it's not user-friendly (see Rigging Introduction and IK solver example from Blender User Manual).

Personally, I don't see an overwhelming need for this functionality inside Vectorworks.

I think adjustable symbols is a useful concept, but the loader is not best example. The fix is super easy. I'm pretty sure DM is already doing this. This vwx workaround is 3 extra keystrokes beyond the process of placing and adjusting the envisioned articulating symbol.

Create the loader symbol as a nest of 4 symbols - front half, back half, arms, bucket. If desired, add a 2d ground plane protractor for steering indicator. The arms and bucket can have working plane protractors classed for visibility. If desired, add additional protractors for terrain articulation between the halves.

•Place/locate the loader symbol.

•Extra click #1: CmdK (Convert to Group), but opt to preserve the nested symbols.

•Extra click #2: Cmd[ (or dbl click to Edit the Group)

•Adjust with Rotate tool for steering, terrain, arms and bucket.

•Extra Click #3: Exit the Edit.

This group can be copied and relocated as needed with Edit Group to adjust the rotations. Or place new instances of the "straight" loader symbol.

-B

-B

You can use Marionette to do this. Have done a pretty rough one but with a bit more time with the components of the symbols you could get it pretty slick, and with the introduction of a slider control it would even be better.

Edited by Alan Woodwell