billgore

How do you Model a Metal Roof Deck

What is everyone doing to model Metal Roof Decking? Got a Project that has Metal Open web Steel Joist and I want to show a 1 1/2" metal Roof Deck on top of that.

Okay how do you create the custom profile so that I can use it over and over again, or modify to make another deck profile?

Hi,

If you are just after the decking then you just draw the profile in section and extrude it. Give it some texture then cut it up as needed.

Not everyone will agree, but in my opinion, extrusions of sine-like curves is not the way to go. Just create a slab or roof face in (say) a 2" thickness or whatever your actual material describes, then apply a standard corrugated texture to it. You can add a parallel-lines surface hatch for HL rendering, See image.

Actual geometry will negatively affect render times in all forms of rendering. 

001.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Anderson said:

Not everyone will agree, but in my opinion, extrusions of sine-like curves is not the way to go. Just create a slab or roof face in (say) a 2" thickness or whatever your actual material describes, then apply a standard corrugated texture to it. You can add a parallel-lines surface hatch for HL rendering, See image.

I agree. Only draw back is that cross sections of the decking will not show the roof profile or is there a way to do that with roof styles?

This can be done with roof styles, sort of. You can make an undulating tile fill (similar to insulation), but it won't be direction sensitive (i.e. it will section the same way both longitudinally and transverse.)