New to VW and need some help / guidance

Hi,

I have recently moved my CAD system from Archicad 19 (and have used it for many years at different practices) to VW to start out on my own.

Now, I have used VW as 2D tool previously so am familiar with it somewhat. Slowly getting the hang of 3D modelling and integrating the documentation with the model information (like you would in Archicad).

What I am wanting to find out - I know there are few posts of similar requests but was not 100% certain or helped; I deal with residential projects and about 75% of them would involve refurbishment/renovation and thus needs to illustrate existing model of the house, demolition plans/elevations and model of proposed house.

From my experience with Archicad, there is a renovation filter which allows you to draw one wall and part of it can be demolished and draw new proposed walls etc. How could one do this on VW?

Having gone through the forum in length, I have got the feel for creating different stories in the layer (ie - GF slab, GF floor, GF ceiling, FF slab, FF floor and FF ceiling as an example). Then create several classes (ie walls Existing / walls Demolished / walls Proposed) and literally draw 3 sets of walls where necessary on each floors.

Is this is the most efficient way of doing it?

Any tips and some example files for those in similar situation, it would be superb!

Thanks in advance

Nice to see another Aussie. :)

This was one of the first I played with and it was good to give you the basics of working in 3D.

Building a skate park. There are a series of videos to suite for this.

http://learn.archoncad.com/

Also Jonathon Pickup from NZ is a great source for learning.

Also you can email me @ alanwoodwell@optusnet.com.au if you need assistance.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

+1 for a "renovation filter"

Others may do things differently, but my system is as described in the 2013 thread "best practices for a renovation project using stories"...how much repetition/duplication depends on the scope of the renovation and alteration, but yes, the various states need to be represented where appropriate. Classes provide the "filter" in Vectorworks. Assigning all attributes and textures by class optimizes ability to control appearance in SLVPs.

Having gone through the forum in length, I have got the feel for creating different stories in the layer (ie - GF slab, GF floor, GF ceiling, FF slab, FF floor and FF ceiling as an example). Then create several classes (ie walls Existing / walls Demolished / walls Proposed) and literally draw 3 sets of walls where necessary on each floors.

Is this is the most efficient way of doing it?

In short, yes - this is the most efficient way of doing it in Vectorworks.

1. Draw all of the existing walls on an 'Existing' wall class;

2. Use the Cut tool to trim existing walls to be removed, set the removed wall to your 'Demo' class;

3. Draw new walls on a 'Proposed' class.

4. Create sheet layer viewports to represent the 'Existing / Demo' plan and the 'Proposed' plan.

Vectorworks does not have a 'Demo Tool' like it sounds there is in ArchiCAD and Revit.

(Just curious, why are you switching from ArchiCAD to Vw?)

This may help

Generally, I use layers as they are easier to turn on/off as there are less of them. (usually)

I've tried classes but you end up with tonnes of classes and things end up unnecessarily complicated.

What's annoying is that there is no best practice guide from Nemetschek that I'm aware of that handles this situation - you have to figure it out yourself. (this forum is of tremendous help to fill that gap)

The Renovation feature in Archicad is one of the reasons why we are likely to switch - waiting for a demo to be available in Oz.

I'm also curious as to why switch from AC to VW.

Edit:

JP training was very helpful also. He is very attentive to the needs of his subscribers.

Edited by Kizza

Hi all,

Thank you for all your tips and advise, it is greatly appreciated. Obviously there are lots to take in and get stuck into it.

The main reason for the switch from Archicad to VW is from a financial perspective of running your own practice.

Previously, worked for companies where it was all provided for me to use as a tool. But now having gone on my own, the cost of software becomes one of the key factors in selecting what platform to base it on. I mean, the cost difference is huge to a point it is no brainer! And I have used both Archicad and VW previously and believe at the end of the day, both software does everything one really can ask for (give or take couple of features here and there that are not available in one to another). ie 2D presentation methods and rendering is far superior on VW whilst Archicad may have one thing or two that are easier to implement. But that does not justify that huge cost difference. And that stacks up as you start taking into account of number of employees you will need to hire etc.

The modelling on Archicad is easy (perhaps that is because I am more used to it) and will not be an issue after couple of projects up and running on VW.

Perhaps renovation filter/options may come into VW if people/users request for it (after all, Archicad and VW are own by same parent company!).

Lastly, I got JP training books and its very good!

Hi all,

The main reason for the switch from Archicad to VW is from a financial perspective of running your own practice.

I personally believe that is false economy.

If your software of choice saves you 10 minutes in productivity a day at a modest $80 per hour, you would save $3500k PA. (excluding public holidays etc but you get the idea)

I think you will miss the renovation feature, and live sections, 3D guidelines etc.

Not wanting to be critical of VW, we would be happy to embrace it if it moved [faster] in the direction of the other big two. Long requested features and bug fixes remain elusive. I'd be very happy to see a renovation feature come to VW, as well as live sections, building materials. As Archicad 20 is not available here as a demo yet, we have the luxury to see if VW 2017 is a worthy competitor. We are now itching to upgrade our software.

If cost is the only consideration, I'd reconsider.

I see where you are coming from and believe me it has crossed my mind many time before making this decision.

I hope it is the right one for you and pursue down that path and wish you all the best :) But difference of in excess of 6-7K (depending on getting it during EOFY deals) per license and annual up-keep costs, I don't see (well hoping anyways - and from previous experiences whilst working in London) not having renovation filter nor live section to be of false economy. It is dependant on each and everyone's needs and that is my view anyways and hence opting for this route.

Sure, I know how to use Archicad like the back of my hand and model things pretty quick but I am sure I will get up to speed of things and make the most of it. So far, it appears to be ok but time will tell.

Do appreciate your feedback and can only hope it was the right choice as I believe it to be.....

So far I am impressed with the amount of knowledge that has been shared amongst experienced users on this forum. And slowly getting the hang of drawing/modelling in 3D like I did with Archicad. I had used VW as 2D tool for 4 years in London and the impression with 2D presentation was and still is probably the best out of Archicad, Revit and VW.

Yes I do agree that method of modelling is not as clinical as others but maybe it will improve and is not that far behind?...

I am on VW2016 Architect + Renderworks and am on VSS so should be getting all the new updates when it does come out.