Stop Cropping Edges

Kevin McAllister

Question

I wish that VW would stop cropping the edges of objects off in Sheet Layer Viewports. It happens in both OpenGL with Edges On and Custom Renderworks with Draw Edges. Its like there's a crop even though there isn't.

The workaround is to add user crops to all Sheet Layer Viewports which is a waste of time and energy. These unnecessary user crops also cause extra cleanup when objects get larger during revisions.

Fix this issue.

Kevin

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

Kevin - I'm sorry that I misunderstood and hijacked your original post: I thought your issue sounded related to my cropped SLVP issue.

That SLVP is linked to a Camera view, I don't know if you can delete the Camera without deleting the SLVP since it doesn't appear on a DL. I added a crop to the SLVP after changing its scale. 

I'd bet that your diagnosis is correct and the camera and SLVP crops are fighting it out - but if the recommended fix is to delete the Camera and VP and start over, I would live with the cropped Hidden Line.

Thanks for your help Kevin.

51 minutes ago, rDesign said:

I'm sorry that I misunderstood and hijacked your original post: I thought your issue sounded related to my cropped SLVP issue.

No worries. Any discussion to get things fixed is always good discussion :)

52 minutes ago, rDesign said:

That SLVP is linked to a Camera view, I don't know if you can delete the Camera without deleting the SLVP since it doesn't appear on a DL. I added a crop to the SLVP after changing its scale. 

I'd bet that your diagnosis is correct and the camera and SLVP crops are fighting it out - but if the recommended fix is to delete the Camera and VP and start over, I would live with the cropped Hidden Line.

When you delete the camera the viewport just switches to a regular perspective viewport or at least it did when I tried it (I saved first so I could undo if necessary). You probably could cut and paste the camera back into the design layers if you wanted to keep it. The remaining viewport rendered just fine after deleting the camera.

Here's an image detailing the bug I was lamenting in the original post. The SLVP's are rendered with OpenGL with edges on. It also occurs in Custom Renderworks with Edges on.

Kevin

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 9.25.22 AM.png

Am I understanding correctly that this happens when you create a viewport without a crop, i.e. it automatically uses the extents of the visible objects to create a sheet layer viewport and set the outline of the viewport to none? In that case it is a bit similar to what I have experienced in AutoCAD too at times as the viewport outline happens to exactly overlap with one or more of the objects and it truncates part or all of the object's outline.

It should be quite simple to fix in VW by having such automatic viewports to add a and extra space of twice the largest line thickness around the objects when creating this automatic viewport. That way there shouldn't be an overlap anymore.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, AshChristopher said:

This still seems to be a problem in VW2022 mac with shaded (open GL) background render . 

Yes, it is. I bug submitted it for VW2022 but I was told that this was expected behaviour. Unfortunately the internal standard at Vectorworks doesn't seem to be consistent and whether this is a bug or not varies with each version / service pack. I would consider any unintended cropping a bug.

@JuanP can you clarify what the intended behaviour is?

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Administrator

We “inflate” the VP bounds for hidden line pen thickness, the fix for something like this would be to make sure to inflate VP bounds by Shaded draw edges thickness (pixels to mm like hidden line thickness).
It is a quality fix that has been submitted and must be fixed in a future SP. (Internal - VB-175506)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JuanP said:

We “inflate” the VP bounds for hidden line pen thickness, the fix for something like this would be to make sure to inflate VP bounds by Shaded draw edges thickness (pixels to mm like hidden line thickness).
It is a quality fix that has been submitted and must be fixed in a future SP. (Internal - VB-175506)

I knew there was some coding to prevent this. Thanks for the explanation and for submitting the issue!

Much appreciated,

Kevin