wall visibility

Best guesses:

It's Layer Height or OIP setting for binding of wall top, or combo.

Your walls might not show up with proper height in 3d views if the Layer Height is 0 and wall OIP Top Offset is 0 (may be defaults)

Start with Organization or Navigation Palette>Design Layer tab>Pick the layer and click Edit> in the edit dialog, reset Layer Height to tallest envisioned wall.

Also check the wall binding. Select a wall and test the Wall Height options for Top Binding, Top Offset, Bottom Binding, Bottom Offset.

-B

Yes I'm sure that is where the issue is. As my design progressed I needed to create a split level portion of building and I tried to set up layers, levels, stories to accommodate and obviously blew it. My windows and doors however show up just fine! I have more reading to do, I don't fully understand the binding options or offset options. I wish I could just create a story pole with all my z heights.

Thank you.

I'm a fan of trouble shoot via isolation - paste the offending object into a new blank file. But this would be hard to isolate in a new drawing unless the Story is set up same as orig.

I tried that with a curtain wall once. Wall was not visible in the new drawing because the layer wall height was set to 0. Wall became visible when Layer wall height was increased.

In Stories (I'm no fan of stories,either. I did make an attempt to learn it and remember a bit), the binding options increase. eg top of story or to some other level in the story, bottom of story above or and others. So lots to check.

-B

• 5 months later...

Maybe I should start a new thread (someone tell me if that is proper protocol) but I am having similar symptoms: walls only visible in plan view.

However, the usual suspects - layer height, offsets, OIP override - do not appear to be the culprit.

I have even tried to select the walls knowing where they are in front view and nothing happens. It is as though they really do not exist in the other views.

I just installed VW2017 SP2 (Build 338823) and this is my first file. Some defaults are probably set although I generally try to stay within defaults.

Windows, doors, furniture, an extruded box all show up fine in all views but the walls don't.

I can import an older VW file already built and everything seems to be showing up okay with it.

Is there another setting I need to flip to resolve this?

Any help is appreciated.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, Mik said:

Maybe I should start a new thread (someone tell me if that is proper protocol) but I am having similar symptoms: walls only visible in plan view.

However, the usual suspects - layer height, offsets, OIP override - do not appear to be the culprit.

I have even tried to select the walls knowing where they are in front view and nothing happens. It is as though they really do not exist in the other views.

I just installed VW2017 SP2 (Build 338823) and this is my first file. Some defaults are probably set although I generally try to stay within defaults.

Windows, doors, furniture, an extruded box all show up fine in all views but the walls don't.

I can import an older VW file already built and everything seems to be showing up okay with it.

Is there another setting I need to flip to resolve this?

Any help is appreciated.

A new post would have been fine but we can continue here, no worries. 

Could you post a VWX file that has one of those invisible walls in it? I can normally verify very quickly what the issue is from taking a quick look.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi All,

For those having problems with stories, you may want to have a look at the tutorial that's posted at the top of the Architecture group under Model Set-Up.  You have the option of using one of three types of wall styles each offering a level of automation.  Each is outlined in the tutorial.

You can always contact me off-list at wgardner@vectorworks.net if you need/want to discuss the use of stories, wall styles, slab styles, model set-up, etc.

Wes

3 hours ago, Markvl said:

Hi @MikYour file is missing the objects your concerned with.

See the pic attached of the resources that are in the file.

Try sending the file again.

ScreenHunter_193 Jan. 11 08.34.jpg

@Markvl, I don't understand. Are there other "resources" that should be in this VW file? What should we be seeing?

This is a vanilla install, I just started a new file and started drawing walls so maybe something needs to be done additionally after installation?

I have attached again in case it was just a glitch from the last upload.

Thanks for taking a look!

CherryBlsm109-20170108.vwx

Hi @MikThis time the file has everything in it.  Don't know what maybe happened on your end.

Anyways upon initial viewing I could see your walls in top/plan but not in any other view.

But upon further investigation you had various classes under "Component" turned off and your walls have components that have

classes under this class family.  Upon turning them on your walls appeared in all views.  All is good.

It took a couple of minutes to figure out.  I typically have all my wall components under the class familly "Wall" so I didn't clue in at first.

I just started turning classes on and voila.

ScreenHunter_195 Jan. 11 13.19.jpg

• Like 1

That was it! I guess I am going to have to sort of get VW2017 "broken in" like a new pair of shoes - making sure the relevant classes are on and so forth.

FWIW the only thing different in my second attachment was that I had closed VW thinking maybe it was holding something back when trying to attach here. That appears to have worked.

Many thanks again!