Possible to have multiple symbols referencing the same database record?

Depending on what you really mean:

I have formats for 'control devices' and 'power devices' I have several symbols that have text that links to one or more record formats. One worksheet pulls up all the symbols, or rather all the records of a format. Lighting schedules, door/window schedules and more all do that.

It is not possible to have one symbol change another symbol. Each 'instance' of a symbol is one record in the giant database that is a CAD program. On a smaller scale, each object with a format attached is one record in the schedule. Seeing you're in theater, each light on a plot has a dimmer, color, location, etc. Changing the color on one can not change the color of another.

That's where worksheets and copy/paste become useful! You can change one fixture, copy it's value, select a whole range of others and paste. Bulk editing! You can do the same thing by selecting the symbols, but it can be much harder to find and sort them in the drawing.

Thanks, Rick. But yes. I really do mean what I said: various symbols all referencing the same database record. I realize that in most cases, one symbols equals one unique record, but I'm trying to see if there's any way to cheat.

The scenario is for lineset schedules/labeling. The idea is that I have many symbols that describe the same lineset. There is the actual lineset symbol in the hanging chart, there is a label and trim in the section, and there are two labels with trims in the groundplan view. I want to have all 4 of these symbols linked in some what so I can change the trim on the section label (or better yet, have a script I've written change the trim based on the actual Y position of the symbol) and have that new trim reflected in the plan and the hanging chart.

This may not be natively possible, and the best option might be copying and pasting in worksheets, but that is still a step I wish I could automate.

In terms of the bulk editing you're talking about, I do most of my bulk editing in LW using data exchange to sync back to VWX. In terms of what you said about it being difficult to find and sort symbols in the drawing, I would recommend looking into Spotlight's Find and Modify feature, but also looking at Josh Benghiat's Savvy Select Similar Instrument (http://www.benghiatlighting.com/software/products/ssi1),

Edited by jaked