can you animate an object in VW ?

I'm trying to do a small animation with the camera staying in the same place with the object changing in each saved view in the animation. I have a double doors with a pull down attic stair above it. I'm trying to show that when you open these new double 1'-6" doors, then you can lower the pull down stairs, with the wall, trim, & head jamb moving with the pull down stair. I have both the door & stair duplicated in open/closed classes so I can turn them off & on as needed in each saved view. When I try to make the animation, I get no velocity, I guess because the camera is not moving.

Is this even possible to animate?

Thanks!

hi,

yes as long as you have animationWorks in your package.

Look under model and if you see create animation or animationworks you are ok.

See help file

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vectorworks%202016/VWHelp/HTML5/index.htm#t=VW2016_Guide%2FViews%2FCreating_and_Editing_Move_Along_Path_Animations.htm&rhsearch=animation&rhhlterm=animation&rhsyns=%20

thanks for the reply, yes I have and have done the create animation along a path, but even with the help, it show the camera moving along the different points, or saved views. I'm keeping the camera in the same place & moving an object in each different saved view, with the hopes of making it look like its moving. With keeping the camera still & making the animation with the different saved views, I get no line of velocity of the movement between views, I guess because the camera is not moving. The animations seems to be recording the camera movement between the saved views.

I guess this is not possible.

Thanks though!

Thanks for the offer, I'm just playing around with it, 90% of my work is 2d construction drawings from my superiors sketchup files.

Hush your mouth, SK****UP.

:)

You need to learn how to do it in VW, then when you got it right show them the the time saving for you in doing the 3D in VW then after the animation and 3D walkthrough have been done and Client approves them you can simply continue to the documentation rather then starting over re drawing their SK****UP file.

That's what I did at our office and now its the standard.

Attached early stages of project for Client Alts & Adds

When you create an animation with VW you can have anything move in your file, fans can continually rotate, drawers can open and close, etc etc.

This one attached animates the water.

Also see video at location

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Yes, I dislike SketchUp too & yes I can do the same with VW. But most people above my position use SketchUp here in the TV & film business. It is used more for 3D designing because the majority have not learned any cad software. For them SU was cheaper & easier for them to use & they even use it for 2d drawings, which I have heard directly the construction department hates them because they are not accurate.

My position is not the 3d design end, its the construction drawings I do of the sets to be built. I have done my own architectural projects in 3D with VW.

What's not to like is is that sketchup is a polygonal modeller, and not solids based. Files that are imported are not easily adjusted in VW to increase the accuracy or for design changes. This is not a knock on sketchup, for all modelling programs (3ds, C4d, etc) will all have the same issues.

That they have a huge model base is a plus. That it is used increasingly by people that do not have training in drafting is not a plus for a lot of shops and art directors like myself.

Hi, certainly didn't wish to offend with my tongue in cheek comment about sketchup. It's a great stand along program that's inexpensive, easy to use and has a great library.

Where I am coming from is I am in an architectural office and we use VW to design and document. My main background is construction documentation.

What happens is I will draw a base and the designer will use sketchup then I have to pull it all apart to complete the documentation.

Aim is to eventually get the designer to use VW but that's a bit of a task so now I do the 3D presentation model and walk through and then can move on to construction docs.

Problem so far with VW is the limitations that we all know regarding construction detailing and the non mergence of many of the plugins, but that's all been discussed before.

But we keep going.

Edited by Alan Woodwell