Class Matrix

Hi all,

In a previous office I worked in we had plot configuration files that could be referenced into different drawings to control the appearance of our drawings in our print files, for example make all lines black or change line weights within elevation and section drawings without having multiple classes and multiple copies of the same drawing. It seemed to work quite well.

I'm now trying to set up something similar in my current office, but I can't seem to find anything online about how to make one of these class matrixes. I've attached a screenshot in case anyone knows them by a different name, but any help would be appreciated. [/img]

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I can see you didn't have any answer to this (and it has been more than a year!), but I was wondering exactly the same right now. I use class matrixes in my office and would like to use it at work as well, but can't seem to find how to make them. If in the meanwhile you solved this issue it would be great if you could give me any advice. 

Cheers

• 4 months later...
On 08/07/2016 at 9:54 AM, stu92 said:

Hi all,

In a previous office I worked in we had plot configuration files that could be referenced into different drawings to control the appearance of our drawings in our print files, for example make all lines black or change line weights within elevation and section drawings without having multiple classes and multiple copies of the same drawing. It seemed to work quite well.

I'm now trying to set up something similar in my current office, but I can't seem to find anything online about how to make one of these class matrixes. I've attached a screenshot in case anyone knows them by a different name, but any help would be appreciated. [/img]

On 20/10/2017 at 4:38 PM, JC Teixeira Pinho said:

Hi there,

I can see you didn't have any answer to this (and it has been more than a year!), but I was wondering exactly the same right now. I use class matrixes in my office and would like to use it at work as well, but can't seem to find how to make them. If in the meanwhile you solved this issue it would be great if you could give me any advice. 

Cheers

Any news on this?

A colleague who has just joined our office mentioned something similar and Im intrigued. Wondering if it is specific to vectorworks design series?

Thanks, S 

You're looking for viewport class overrides if I'm understanding the questions correctly.

If you're coming from an AutoCAD background, the level of print control and viewport templating you are hoping for does not exist.

If you're using Standard Naming, there is a worksheet that you can tweak settings from, but only for classes that are controlled by your Standard Naming scheme.

Other than those two things, I haven't heard of anything like what's being described in VW.

No it's seems to be something different, we use viewport class overrides to set up all our sheets and I showed her that and she was adamant it was a file you reference in and it automatically maps all your classes to specific lines weights/colours (providing you are drawing with the correct classes) dependant on the scale of viewport ? It sounds very auto cad but she is sure it was vectorworks!?! Maybe it is an outdated method, I've been using VW since 2012 and have never heard/seen anything like a plot configuration file?

14 minutes ago, nrkuhl said:

If you're using Standard Naming, there is a worksheet that you can tweak settings from, but only for classes that are controlled by your Standard Naming scheme

What do you mean by standard naming and where would I find that worksheet, is it something I can generate through Tools > create report?  I know there is a plug-in to generate a complete class list too.

We follow the BS CAD/BIM naming convention across all our projects but not sure what you mean by Standard Naming?  

Standard Naming is under Document Settings, it's sort of what you're describing but doesn't work as well as you want it to.  We use it mostly for the functionality of automatically classing PIOs for us.  There's a worksheet for editing your standards that I think is described in the help files.

Class mapping is tough.  For us - after we get through SD - the file tends to be messy - and we want to import our classes and class definitions from another file - but it is near impossible.

I wish there were a class import and rectification tool - where you could select a file and then be presented with a list of the classes from the import document, a list of classes from the existing document - and then be able to map the two together.  

Smart Paste does a pretty good job at this - and I guess could be used like this.  If you have a file with objects from your standard set of classes - you could copy and paste them back in and use the Smart Paste prompt to map, merge, and cleanup. 

• 4 years later...

Hello @SophieGW et al.

If you are talking about the same thing, I created a plugin called 'Class Matrix' and this is deployed in the office of my clients as part of the 'shorter system'.

If anyone would like a copy, let me know.  The plugin is free to all my clients and customers.

It is not a native Vectorworks object.

Similarly, if anyone is interested in Smartpaste, my colleague Giovanni, author of Smartpaste will no doubt be happy to answer any queries you might have.

• Like 1