Is it possible to change and save tool defaults?

eg.

If I use the door tool, even with auto-classing off, when a door is created, certain classes are assigned to elements under "visibility classes" in the "2D visualisation tab" of the door tool settings. So, Slab & Swing is set to "Sills" class.

I can go into the settings for the door tool, and change this to assign to a different class. So, the next and any subsequent doors will have these settings. But that change to the tool default only persists in that document, as far as I can see.

Is there any way to change it globally? So that if I open a new document, and start using the door tool, it will be using my custom settings?

The reason for this is I'm trying to set up my own class structure, with different names for those classes. I'd like to have things set up so that when I start a new document, tools like the door tool will be defaulting to assigning things to my class system instead of the default VW one.

There are two strategies that I find useful:

1. Create a template file. Get a document set up the way you like it. Design layer scale, grid bump settings, window and door preferences, etc. Then File>Save as Template…

When you open a new file you can open a blank or from template. Choose template and you will have everything set the way you like it. I find it helpful to name the template file starting with a space so it is at the top of the list.

2. Set up a door the way you like it. Save it as a red symbol. Modify>Create Symbol…> make sure Convert to Plug-In Object is checked. Put that symbol in a "library file" and make that file one of your favorites. Importing that symbol to a new document will bring along all the classes you've so laboriously set in the door settings.

You can then insert that symbol into a drawing and option-command click on it (alt-command on windows) or right click > Create Similar Object on that door. That will set the door defaults for that drawing to the settings for that door.

hth

mk

Thanks. Actually I'm in the process of totally overhauling my "template file" structure.

Having a template file is generally how I've dealt with this in the past. Sounds like I should just continue that way.

The only problem I've found:

I have my template file, but what actually happens is that each time I start a new project I tend to make a copy of a previous project's file, delete out all the geometry and then use that as the starting point, instead of going back to the pristine template file I originally created. Reason for this is each project I tend to slightly evolve/improve my drawing structure, so don't want to lose these changes.

Is there a tidier way of creating a new document that has the same setup as an older one, but without inheriting/having to delete all the geometry?

My drawings tend to have a lot of "junk DNA" in them...symbols left over from old jobs etc, as a result of my process above.

Your tip for keeping door settings by saving a symbol is a good one, thanks.

Hi,

I keep my template file in my workgroup file and when you open it you have to save it as something so its always clean, see attached.

Keep it in the workgroup folder so that everyone can see it on the server and the program calls it from there. If you put it in the program lib you lose it at next version update.

Change or add to the template by exporting thing to it from any where.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

I know exactly what you mean. I wish there was a way to export a setting to a template file. Like the way you can export resources to a library file.

Because it's as you use a file create from a template that you realize what you should have done.

I've put it in the wish list, but maybe it's time to bump it.

mk