Stairs

Got it figured out. You must input numbers in correct sequence or you kicked out.

Now, I need to copy this stair and flip it. So there is some secret to doing this as selecting it and surrounding walls I am only able to copy, mirror image.

Edited by jmartinarch

In order for us to assist you, which of the three Stair tools are you using?

The one that I've have the most luck with, and the least frustrating, is the Custom Stair tool.

If it's not in your workspace, you'll have to manually add it to your workspace from the Legacy tools.

It is just "stair" my other option is "simple stair"

I like the que " please enter a value for offset 1 " there is no box with this label on this page and you cannot advance to other tabs unless yo enter a value.

Also I hate that you cannot input floor to floor height and number of risers and have VW calculate riser height.

There are $99 home 3-d programs that do this easier.

I'll go back and check my calculations I'm sure I made an error.

Do a copy of that stair.

Go into Stair settings, OIP or by double clicking.

There is a setting for clock/counter clock wise type or similar.

I think it was at the top right of the first tab (?)

I think the origin for a stair (to move before changing direction)

is always the middle of the first step.

You can set stair height by Story (Levels) or manually.

And you can set # of risers, VW will calculate the height.

Generally check if you don't have locked too many values.

Beside that, as it is it requires sometimes to free some values

and play a bit with the tool until it will eat all manual settings.

At the end everything was possible for me so far.

Guest Wes Gardner

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb7b4lvcdmrjevd/Stair%20Example.vwx?dl=0

This is a link to an example stair file with all of the classes broken out so you can see how you can achieve various graphic possibilities. Look at the sheet layer to see the three common instances of a stair in a commercial building - the first floor, intermediate floor(s), the top floor. All of this comes from the model.

The stair has the ability to calculate floor-to-floor in two ways - by selecting "By Value" lets you type in a "hard" number or by selecting "By Layer Elevation" - lets you link it to levels (if you're using stories) or merely to Layer Wall Height. In most cases, if it can't do the calculation, it'll tell you. For example, in the USA, it's fairly common to use the "7:11" rule, where 7" is the riser height, if you create a stair and Vectorworks can't achieve exactly 7", it'll give you options...Also, in some scenarios, you may want to UNCHECK "Use Minimum/Maximum Values" when designing your stair. You can edit these settings as well...there is one that speaks to the "7:11" rule.

The pdf that's included is just a view of the sheet layer in the .vwx file...

Check it out...

Edited by Wes Gardner
Do a copy of that stair.

Go into Stair settings, OIP or by double clicking.

Zoomer, I never ever ever copy a Stair PIO. For years now I have found that a copy of a Stair always results in something wacky, and not wacky in a good way.

Anywho, I'll refrain from my grumbles about these tools that don't show off VW's better side.

Anywho, I'll refrain from my grumbles about these tools that don't show off VW's better side.

For me, don't stop commenting good or bad otherwise problems can't be solved.

Alan

(And I still cant get the Quote to show up shaded like others) maybe I can be shown. Thanks

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Zoomer, I never ever ever copy a Stair PIO. For years now I have found that a copy of a Stair always results in something wacky, and not wacky in a good way.

I had enough problems with stairs in general.

No problems with copying though.

Like all German Architectural Tools, you can can save each part of the stair

settings as template in the Stair Tool. Or save the complete Settings.

That will allow to get the same Stair again, without the need to copy it.

Copy or not,

I searched for the same option like you did, and I found that there is a

setting to change the direction of the stair winding.

Thought that was the question at the beginning of this thread (?)

(And I still cant get the Quote to show up shaded like others) maybe I can be shown. Thanks

Alan (and others trying to quote posts), your attempted quote includes the end quote element

but is missing the start quote element

Pressing the Quote or Quick Quote button at bottom of a post produces a reply window displaying both elements "surrounding" the text of the post. The start quote element includes an attribution referencing the post author inside the start quote element brackets (an equal sign followed by author name). Delete any unwanted parts between the start/end elements. These elements trigger(?) the grey field around the quoted text.

In the Full Reply window, clicking the quotation mark button produces both elements at the insertion point. Then you need to paste the desired quotation text between the two elements. This option does not include the attribution element identifying the author of the quoted material.

Or you can skip the buttons and produce the grey box by keying in the start and end elements with some text between them.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Testing the Quotes

Alan (and others trying to quote posts), your attempted quote includes the end quote element

Pressing the Quote or Quick Quote button at bottom of a post produces a reply window displaying both elements "surrounding" the text of the post.

-B

Ok Got it thanks

So looking at attached, what would the format be for 3 quotes within each other.

This one drops your quote to bottom.

Thanks

Edited by Alan Woodwell