Plot and Model View - Definition Layers

I am wondering if there is a better way for me to arrange the drawing of my lighting plan.

It's an odd one because the entire rig is scattered all over a large set. Because of this your typical top/plan view is redundant as there are no bars, the lights are located at odd heights and depths on a mainly upright structure (although the set is in no way vertical; it is very very clunky with hundreds of nooks and crannies.)

I have been asked to come up with a drawing which includes an easy-to-read 2d version and a full 3d model in which we can render to play about with and later upload into Ma3d.

What I have done so far works but is extremely difficult to navigate:

I have made a front viewport of the set on a separate design layer. I then rotated the viewport so it was visible in top/plan view. I then drew my 2d lighting plan onto of this. That's step one done.

What I did then to create the 3d model was create a plot and model view of each fixture, this works fine as it gives me a working 3d model but it means that I end up with hundreds of definition layers as I can't just do 2 or 3 because the rig is so scattered. This means that when it comes to rendering, I spend ages jumping around trying to find the right definition layer in order to select a fixture to turn it on.

Is there an easier way?

Thanks for all your help! :)

Doing a plot/model view of each fixture will be very time-consuming and very difficult to navigate, I agree. Is there not a way you can make viewports of groups of fixtures?

Just in terms of turning lights on and off, then assign channels to your design and then turn them off/on using the channel column in the Visualisation palette. Its still cumbersome, but makes it easier than locating individual fixtures over a large complicated model.

Mark