Class and Layer Mapping tool for Spotlight users

Spotlight users.

If you have to deal with Auto CAD files and get stuck with hundreds of classes that you wish you could rename then you need this tool. Class and Layer Mapping

The problem is that tool is only available to Landmark, and Architect as well as the full Designer series.

My original thread

I've started a wish list here

Wish List

If you think this tool should be apart of Spotlight then you need to make some noise about it. Comment in this thread, or the wish list thread.

Class & Layer Mapping is a one way transaction.

So if you receive and dwg file with 300 classes and map that in VW to 3 Design Layers & 50 classes you cannot export the result back to a dwg with the original class structure.

This is just one of the compelling reasons why I typically recommend referencing the DWG into a drawing via a Design Layer Viewport of a shuttle file.

Since the introduction of Design Layer Viewports and the Visibility Tool's ability to control classes within the DVLP directly it is seldom that I see a need to pollute populate an honest VW file with myriad often obscure dwg classes.

However - it's a good wish and I don't see any reason to omit the command from Spotlight. +1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes please! It's a pain when I get a rep plot from a venue and try to drop in new lights, or take a 2015 touring plot and update it. Everyone has different naming conventions, and deleting and re-naming classes individually can add hours to a project.

Yes please! It's a pain when I get a rep plot from a venue and try to drop in new lights, or take a 2015 touring plot and update it. Everyone has different naming conventions, and deleting and re-naming classes individually can add hours to a project.

This is just one of the compelling reasons why I typically recommend referencing the DWG into a drawing via a Design Layer Viewport of a shuttle file.

Can you elaborate on this process? Do you create a symbol of what you're importing and import that? Doesn't that still create the whole myriad of classes?