Face / Edge Selection Issue

Hi. First post.

Any come across an issue where after working with a file for a while the face selection stops working. When I try to push/pull , set an active plane to a face etc it won't work. When I use any of these face based tools the cursor appears as a small box with a red line and it wont interact with any faces.

The weird thing is when I open a new file it works fine until I copy and paste a form from the old file. As soon as i bring in the form from the old file I get the same issues.

I don't think its the screen/working/automatic plane preference and i cant see anything else that might have caused it. What am i missing here. Any suggestions?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There are levels of complexity (some more obvious than others) at which the Push/Pull Tool will stop recognizing faces. Does this tool stop functioning completely, even on simple objects like cylinders, or is it just not working on a specific solid or set of solids you've been working with for awhile?

In any case, if you can post an image or the solid itself I can have a look and get it submitted if need be.

Hi Jim. Thanks for your help.

It doesnt seem to be related to complexity as even new objects I create can't be edited with the face / edge based tools. The thing thats really throwing me is even if I create new geometry in this file then copy/paste it into a new file I get the same problem. It's contagious Dropbox link below to screenshot of the cursor I get as well as the model in question.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8gyvw6ks613v1n7/AACAjuLRsGMInR8wBFynr6Tia?dl=0

Reboot the machine entirely, then in a new blank file try to use Push/Pull on a simple rectangular extrude. If it works, open your file with this object and try it there too. Let me know if it doesn't work at all anymore, or only stops working in the file you noticed the issue in first.

Jim. Rebooting the machine doesn't seem to affect it. I can extrude simple forms in a new file but it still doesnt work in the main file. Also I tried it on other machines in the office and they can't edit the file either. I get the same cursor and issues with faces.

Confirmed here as well, however, this document has it's geometry extremely far from the origin. If I place it in a new file at 0,0,0 the tool resumes working.

If i try copying EVERYTHING from your file, the origin issue is brought over to a new document and the issue resumes. If you copy just the collection of solids into a new blank file, does the same happen to you? Ignore the group and other objects and do not use Paste in Place.

This issue relating to objects being so far from the origin causes many issues. I have had windows disappearing in 3d but showing up on plan, lines randomly moving and after discussions with tech support by moving all the objects back to nearer the origin or moving the origin all was resolved.

Something to look into with the Engineers.