Wish: Include Class and Layer mapping command in Spotlight

Mickey

8 answers to this question

How many of us Spotlight users have to deal DWG files that pollute the class structure?

I've asked for years for a tool that would allow us to mass rename these irritating classes, and in 2016 I discovered that VW did indeed have a tool that would do that, but it was only for Architect, and Landscape.

Why not Spotlight?

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2018/eng/index.htm#t=VW2018_Guide%2FSetup%2FMapping_Classes_and_Layers.htm&rhsearch=class layer mappings&rhhlterm=class layer mappings&rhsyns=

Do the CAD overlords assume us lowly entertainment types don't interface with the almighty AutoCAD?

Yeah we do. Every time a building engineer sends us a venue which is fairly often.

I don't have a need to own the full "Designer" series, and don't want to pay for features I'll never use, but this one tool would make my life, and  so many other lives better, but I can't get access to it.

Does anyone else in the Spotlight community care about this, or am I a lone voice?

• Like 1

Not a spotlight user myself but I agree this should be included in spotlight as well, features like this that are not really discipline specific should be common across all designer series. And if tools exist in two or more designer series then the tool should be identical and not have a full blown version in one and a crippled version in the other.

22 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Beside Mapping Classes,

which I find quite tedious,

I mostly deal with or avoid unwanted classes by either referencing by viewport

or using the prefix option in dwg import settings to sort them away.

So do I.

But what do you do when you inherit a drawing from someone else that has imported a DWG, and didn't give it a prefix? Now you have 1000 classes that start with A-XXTTT%....

Looks like impotring DWG will always import all Classes. Mostly from a

complete office standard. Then a Purge Classes often helps a lot.

But for VW files from third parties, with strange named Classes, objects

assigned to wrong Classes and other messiness ... even the best software

may not help :)