Landscape Area to Hardscape Object, or vice-versa

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What is the best/most efficient way to take a Landscape Area object and turn it into a Hardscape object (and vice versa)?

The scenario is that the client keeps changing their mind regarding what they would like to be hardscape and what they'd like to be planted, so I'd like to be able to switch back and forth as easily as possible. I realize there isn't a direct "convert this into that" option, so I'm curious to know what would be the best way to go back and forth?

Thanks in advance!

-Neil

Just an idea - Can you paste a copy of the 3d (sent to surface) shape into a new layer, Top/Plan, then Modify>Convert>Convert to Lines or other flatten technique. Then either Compose the new lines to make a new poly, or apply the Polygon Tool in Inner Boundary mode (Paint Bucket).

Or, in Top/Plan, trace the 3d object with the Polyline tool.

-B

• 7 years later...

Hi @Katarina Ollikainen,

How to transform my Landscape Area symbols to Hardscape symbols and keep all data inside the symbols?

This has become more important than ever since Hardscape now can drape to Site model surface. Before this option, we used Landscape Area as Hardscape. Now is the time to transform many of the Landscape Areas into Hardscape. A great deal of data has been added to these symbols, Records, Data Mapping and IFC. We hope we can get help to automate as much of this process as possible.

Greatly appreciates getting help to come up with a good solution. I have a colleague who is waiting for me to come up with a time-saving solution.

Edited by aage.langedrag
  • Like 3

Hi @Katarina Ollikainen,
You have a good question. At first I think that I don't dare to change current project models. That's why we now talk about Style objects so that new projects start with Hardscapes. Settings shown on the image should be transferred to Hardscape automatically. Does this make sense?

image.thumb.png.b315f37e9d5cf94d02eb191941d37aba.png

It may be that you want to change the Instance objects in an ongoing project, but I'm not there now. The important thing is to get shared template files and libraries right.

Untitled 2.vwx

• Like 1