Covered porch with stairs

Hi all, I'm mainly an interior person, kitchens, bathrooms etc. A client asked me to design a covered porch with stairs on the side. I've never done this, but i'm looking to see if there are any video tutorials that would cover this topic. I did a search, didn't find anything. Maybe I'm not looking in the right location.

Thanks for any help.

John

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's a small cottage with covered porch but the stairs are on the front.

The porch deck is a slab. The roof is a Roof Face. The columns were modeled. The railing is the Railing Tool. The stairs use the Stair Tool.

Edited by Wes Gardner
  • 8 months later...
On 6/16/2016 at 9:24 AM, Wes Gardner said:

Here's a small cottage with covered porch but the stairs are on the front.

The porch deck is a slab. The roof is a Roof Face. The columns were modeled. The railing is the Railing Tool. The stairs use the Stair Tool.

On 6/17/2016 at 10:34 AM, jgmrussell said:

Thanks Wes, I was hoping there was a tutorial video to help me along. 'll keep looking. Nice porch detailing.

John

Did you find a tutorial?  I am trying to model a screen porch.  Wes I could not see your example.

In general you will not usually find tutorials that target the specific item you wish to draw/put together but rather concepts that cover a broad number of items.

Concepts or tools could be Roof and Roof Faces to create the roof for the porch, walls for screens and using doors and windows, slabs for the floor and the stair tool for the stairs.

You will want to think about how you want to present the porch and the information you want to convey.  Is it strictly going to be 2D or some 3D as well?

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's a link to the cottage file that probably got deleted when we switched to the new Community Board.  It does not have a SCREEN porch but one could be modeled depending on how detailed you wished to get.  The screen itself could be an extruded rectangle to a thickness of dot oh, oh thin with a screen texture applied.  The frames could be modeled from extruded elements as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/956p0hsxve89ibc/Cottage Complete v2017.vwx?dl=0

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 4.37.37 PM.png

Edited by Wes Gardner
Guest Wes Gardner

I created some screen using a texture and image mask.  You can probably get it to "read" a little better if you play with the mask and/or get a better image to start with...

Porch_Screen.vwx

Porch.png.f7923ff8157c9d2f46d8d3a8d64ff753.png58bf266446d16_Closein.png.bd95aa315c7a8a192571ab4cc55cc4b1.png

Edited by Wes Gardner