Property Line Tool

Mbuck

As the current discussion is in relation to the displaying property line i.e. property boundary angular and distance definitions. I thought that you should be aware that you are using the incorrect angular definition for true north. It is not 90 degrees but rather 0 degrees and therefore Whole-circle bearings: The direction of survey lines is generally expressed as an angle measured from a reference meridian, generally north, commencing from 0 degrees (0?) and increasing clockwise to 360 degrees (359?59'60"). Bearings are never expressed as "North, X degrees East".

For more explanation refer:

http://www.sli.unimelb.edu.au/Horizons/Documents/angle.html

Please could you correct this in your next release of the program.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is something we have long been aware of. See appendix D in VW9 manual or appendix B in VW8 manual. However, using the property line tool in VWA9 or VWL9, you can enter a surveyor's bearing (e.g. N36d23m15sE , using dms for degrees, minutes, seconds) and it will be properly interpreted. So the "correction" has already been made!

Unless I am missing something, a bearing entered into the property line tool as N60d should give an angle / bearing of 60 degrees measured clockwise from true north, as angles go clockwise from the meridian. To my surprise one gets a line at and angle of 30 degrees from north, and if you choose the label option tick box, Vectorworks dutifully labels this line as N 30d0m0s E. I concede that if one enters N 60d E you get the desired result, but how logical is it to put a bearing definition of N 270d E to get a bearing which interpreted as due West, why not simply use the 360 degree clockwise convention.

I am not sure if this has to do with your geographical location but as I studied in college and use them in my profession, survey bearings are expressed as North degrees due East or West; or South degrees due East or West. With this notation the angle can be either clockwise or counterclockwise. If you start at the North (0 degrees pointing to the top) and rotate towards the East, the angle is clockwise starting at the top. If on the other hand you rotate towards the West, the angle is counterclockwise starting at the top. Similarly, if the bearing starts with a South notation, the angle is measured counterclockwise towards the East and clockwise towards the West.