Selecting Objects

This is probably a stupid question but I can't seem to find any reference to this and it's driving me crazy. I know most of my questions stem from the differences between the old version and new version but old habits die hard. In Vectorworks 8 (in 2D) you could select a series of objects by holding down the shift key and using the rectangular selection tool select blocks of data/lines. For example, I could quickly select all exterior elements of a floor plan for use somewhere else, paste it, and quickly delete any unwanted ines or information. Now, it seems I can do this to a point but if I overlap when I go to my next block, I "deselect" those items that occur in the overlap. I've tried other key combos like shift/alt but they still produce this delection process. Is there a different set of keys that will give this feature back?

This is the expected behaviour.

If something is selected and you go back over it to click it a second time, it will deselect that item.

This was a change between VW 8 and VW 9.

Hi Katie,

I know this has been mentioned before, but is there any hope of your development team making the selection behavior user selectable? I, for one, would greatly appreciate being able to work the old way, but having a choice would be the best of both worlds.

Thanks,

Raymond

It's the way just about every other cad and image program works, so the change was made to be more like what most people are used to.

We seemed to be the odd man out, and due to alot of requests from users, the method was changed.

Seems to me, being the "odd man out" is what makes certain programs unique with features no others have. Anyways it would be nice if Vectorworks added the ability to toggle between these two functions rather than deleting one in favour of the other. Oh well, another wish list item... [big Grin]