Stretching Walls

Hello All,

I spoke with a tech at Vectorworks about how I could stretch the lower floor walls of my project, at least the siding anyway, down to the stepped foundation below and he could not come up with a solution. He was to reach out to other techs and I have not heard back.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion about how I can stretch the gray siding of the lower elevation down to the stepped foundation shown in the attached photo? I will likely build the project with the bottom of the siding not stepped but following the grade in a straight line on each of the four elevations, so showing it this way in the drawing would be best, but if it is easier to somehow have the siding follow the stepped foundation in the design I am OK with this.

Thanks in advance as always!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If the stepped foundation is just raw 3D geometry you should be able to use AEC > Fit to Walls, selecting the "bottom" option and making sure the foundation geometry is all on a layer below the layer your grey siding walls are on.

If the foundation is walls, I do not think this trick will work, in a test here I was not able to get the bottom of a wall object to fit to the top of another wall object with 3d peaks along its top.

EDIT: Filing this as a request, you should be able to fit walls to walls, that would have many uses.

Edited by JimW
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You may also be able to use the Extract tool (Face mode) to extract the tops of the foundation walls, then make sure theyre on a layer below the lower floor walls and Fit to Objects should work on those surfaces.

If it doesn't, I can take a look at the file if you send it to Tech@vectorworks.net ATTN Jim.

Hi Jim,

I believe I tried that with Alexander over the phone with no luck.

I sent the file to Alexander last week and he was puzzled and was going to consult with other techs. Would you kindly check in with Alexander to have a look at my file to see if we can hash through this.

Thanks!