Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Curved Brickwork

I'm trying to define a curved masonry wall in half-brick bond.

The following can only be understood well while looking at the drawing.

Simplified I tried the following:

1] place a series of points on a contour that was divided by 110 (half brick length: 210+10/2).

2] place bricks on the uneven points en place bricks on the even points on the next contour

The problem is that the length of the lists of points on a contour can be even or uneven. And that makes the starting point of the brickwork random.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Marissa:

All blue layers are ok

All pink layers should be 'moved' half a brick, but some are and some are not

(

the top pink layer is not 'moved' half a brick

the 2nd pink layer is ok

the 3rd pink layer is not 'moved' half a brick

the 4th till 20th are ok

etc.

)

@ bcd: getting half a brick on the beginning and end of the pink layers is the next challenge and I think that I should be able to solve that. But for now, I'd like this to work as a half-brick bond for an unknown (parametrical) length, height and shape.

@ both: thanks for looking into this.

@ Marissa:

All blue layers are ok

All pink layers should be 'moved' half a brick, but some are and some are not

(

the top pink layer is not 'moved' half a brick

the 2nd pink layer is ok

the 3rd pink layer is not 'moved' half a brick

the 4th till 20th are ok

etc.

)

@ bcd: getting half a brick on the beginning and end of the pink layers is the next challenge and I think that I should be able to solve that. But for now, I'd like this to work as a half-brick bond for an unknown (parametrical) length, height and shape.

@ both: thanks for looking into this.

• Marionette Maven

So basically what happens when you use the "Divide Curve" node is that it creates one long list of all of the points on all of the curves that went into it.

I modified that node to chunk them into lists.

I also modified the node immediately after it, "Every Other", to not absorb the entire list and flatten it, so it, too, outputs the right values.

I commented the lines in each of those nodes that I changed, there is only one line in each.

This revision will take a little longer to calculate and finish, but it gives you what you want. I can say that we are working on improvements for future releases to use different methods when working with large data, so keep your eyes open for my post when we get to the point that we can put it out there!

Let me know if you have any questions.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15623&filename=BrickWork.JPG

Edited by MarissaF
  • 2 weeks later...

Combined with a 'Filter'-node used as a IF-THEN-command and DomC's PointArrayStartEnd-network this makes a nice curved wall in half-brick bond.

The 'Max Item'-node is used to preserve the half-brick-bond even if the contours are of a different length.

When you get rid of the 'Max Item'-node, It is possible to convert a volume like a cone to a brick shape, with some errors though (at the end of the circle!?).

This is cool, nice one! :)

Its always satisfying when you get it to work and you learn so much along the way with the help of others from the communication that goes on in the forum.

More please.

:)

Edited by Alan Woodwell