Purge classes

I imported a DWG file and it dumped hundreds of classes into my VW 2016 file. How do I delete all the classes at once? I know I can do them one at a time and have them go into the "none" class, but I don't see the bulk "purge" command anywhere that would do the same. I don't want to delete the objects, just their classes.

Thanks,

MHBrown

By the way, I can group everything and put it into the "none" class, but the now unused classes are still there. I made sure all 10,000 items are now in the "none" class.

When I use the "purge" command under "Tools" it shows 0 items will be removed. This is not true because there are over 100 unused classes.

MHBrown

Hi,

Select all the classes you don't want in the navigation palette. Right click on any selected class and choose delete. A dialogue box will pop up and ask you if you want to delete all items or reassign them to another class (and you can choose NONE there). This will move everything into that class, or whatever class you want, and delete all the rest in one motion.

Done.

Edited by EAlexander

As I mentioned, I know how to delete them one at a time. That is not practical for deleting over 100 classes. Also, as I mentioned, The Purge unused classes does not work. I put everything into the None class, but the newly unused classes are not recognized by VW as "unused." I don't know why. It doesn't matter, anyway. There must be a way to globally remove classes even if they are being used. That's what you can do in the Resource Palette one at a time. That is my question: how do you globally delete classes, regardless as to whether or not they are being "used." You can do it one at a time in the Resource Palette, but I want to delete them all at once. Pretty basic feature, I think, so it must be there somewhere.

MHBrown

You can use Command click to select multiple classes. I would use the organisation window to do this.

Strange that the Purge command doesn't work - there might be some rogue objects in the class that may be tiny or way way way off origin.

You probably already know but I add a prefix to imported classes so I know what they are. Another is to edit an imported DWG in a separate file until your done.

MH, first check to see if in fact you have made everything "None." Select a class in the navigation window, delete it - and if it asks to reassign objects, there are objects in that class. They could be in a symbol or a group.

The procedure to do what you want is actually simple. Open the class editing window, expand all groups of classes (right click on a triangle and select "expand all"), select all the classes you want to delete using "cntrl+click" to add to the group of selected classes, then hit the delete key. VW will ask if you want to reassign objects to another class.

When selecting classes, don't select the "grouping" class name prefixes - if you do that, "delete" is grayed out as an option. Only select the final suffix of the class names.

As I mentioned, I know how to delete them one at a time. That is not practical for deleting over 100 classes. Also, as I mentioned, The Purge unused classes does not work. I put everything into the None class, but the newly unused classes are not recognized by VW as "unused." I don't know why. It doesn't matter, anyway. There must be a way to globally remove classes even if they are being used. That's what you can do in the Resource Palette one at a time. That is my question: how do you globally delete classes, regardless as to whether or not they are being "used." You can do it one at a time in the Resource Palette, but I want to delete them all at once. Pretty basic feature, I think, so it must be there somewhere.

MHBrown

Look at my post above carefully. You can select All the classes in the navigation palette and right click to delete at once - it will reassign all objects to none and delete all classes all in one move. You don't need to do anything else, not even reassign objects first.

If your classes are in a hierarchy, you can turn off hierarchy view from the options for the navigation palette. Makes it easier to select all at once.

Edited by EAlexander

It's good practice to always import anything from another programme into a Scratch file first. Then clean it up and reference the objects one wants to keep into your working file.

A good idea is to keep a Template file to open when you have a scratch file to open, this saves lots of time setting the import up.

Also, you can see in your resource browser weather the imported file has brought in Symbols (Blocks in ACAD). Some firms will send you a file that has hundreds of Symbols and you may not need any of these Symbols. Any Symbols that are present that you do require may have nested Classes so you need to be aware of this fact as well.

• 3 years later...

On 6/7/2016 at 7:11 PM, EAlexander said:

Look at my post above carefully. You can select All the classes in the navigation palette and right click to delete at once - it will reassign all objects to none and delete all classes all in one move. You don't need to do anything else, not even reassign objects first.

If your classes are in a hierarchy, you can turn off hierarchy view from the options for the navigation palette. Makes it easier to select all at once.

This is the trick. When selecting multiple class children across parent class in Hierarchy View (from the context menu), the delete function is grayed out.

Logically, the Purge > unused classes command should do the same thing, but it does not delete the classes. Not sure what this command is actually supposed to do if not remove the unused classes from the project?

On 6/8/2016 at 9:04 AM, MHBrown said:

I put everything into the None class, but the newly unused classes are not recognized by VW as "unused." I don't know why.

Maybe there are objects inside symbols that are on the rogue classes. You would have to purge the symbols to get rid of the classes.