Modify by Record Format

I would like to use the modify by record value option as seen in the YouTube video tutorial...

I have some simple house type symbols with record format attached:-

Name, Storeys, Gross floor area etc. and would like to use the modify record command to display each of these as different colours.

When I use the modify record value option, nothing happens. I don't understand how the command knows what part of the symbol to modify.

Within the symbol I have a polygon representing footprint which is by class which I would expect to change colour.

Should the record be attached to this polygon and not the symbol itself?

Any help would be appreciated.

It seems as if "modify by record" works if you just attach a record to a polygon.

If this is then becomes part of a symbol it no longer responds to the modify request.

The VW dialogue box implies it will still work as part of a symbol and a group.

It does work with a group but not a symbol.

I have not used this feature, but it seems straight forward - but I am guessing you are correct - since the symbol itself does not have a fill attribute (only the objects inside the symbol) - maybe the tool is unable to work if applied to symbols.

This is a shame because I never usually attach records to anything but symbols....

It seems you have to remove class attributes from the object within a symbol that you want to modify with modify by record command. Then convert the symbols on the the plan to groups and run Tools > Record > Modify by record. This will change any object within the group that is not controlled by class attributes.