Texture Mapping onto Wall and Slab Components

Textures: In the Render Pane of the OIP, select the subject "part" (e.g. Top, Sides, Left Right, whatever) in the pulldown, then you can rotate, etc.

Hatches: FWIW I have two "deck: hatches (which are pretty much the same as 6" siding hatches), one oriented horiz and the other vert. To align a hatch is directly related to the hatch origin. But changing the origin can be a pain. Instead, try moving (nudging) the entire VP (or whatever) one way or the other until things are just so. As you nudge you will note that the hatch stays fixed to its origin, so you are actually moving objects to align the object to the hatch.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response. I'm talking about the individual components of walls and slabs, where the Mode in the Render Tab of the OIP is set to "Component" and, in which case, the "Part" pull-down is grayed out. Similarly for slab hatches, if the slab is "styled," its fill is grayed out in the Attributes palette and it can't be mapped. (Moving objects/buildings/viewports for the sake of hatches is kinda far from ideal...).

Thanks! -Will

• 1 month later...

I too am struggling with this.

Is it impossible to control the mapping of a texture on a "slab" object?

Textures: In the Render Pane of the OIP, select the subject "part" (e.g. Top, Sides, Left Right, whatever) in the pulldown, then you can rotate, etc.

If I look in the Render Pane of the OIP I don't see where there's an option to rotate or otherwise control the mapping (see attached screenshot).

It doesn't seem to matter whether I set the texture by object or by component.

Edited by col37400

Attribute mapping tool doesn't work for BIM Objects like walls too (?)

I always use "by components".

I somehow managed to get my Walls/Component working in the "Perimeter" Style

and world position from origin.

I think I selected them together with an Extrude or something to reach the perimeter

+ world setting.

Attribute mapping tool doesn't work for BIM Objects like walls too (?)

I've had a go with a wall object.

I can adjust the mapping if I set the texture "by object", either using the attribute mapping tool or the controls in the OIP.

But if I set the texture "by component", I can't seem to adjust the mapping at all.

I always use "by components".

I somehow managed to get my Walls/Component working in the "Perimeter" Style

and world position from origin.

I think I selected them together with an Extrude or something to reach the perimeter

+ world setting.

Can you give any more detail how you managed this?

Edited by col37400

This video may assist you.

Generally i do by component but occasionally i'd I need to rescale the texture i use by object which allow you to scale and rotate the texture on a face.

The right wall is by object.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Sorry no, I can't remember.

I played everywhere.

I have strict grids through the whole building and surroundings, so I wanted

to use the same grids for texture tilings.

There was a second problem with brick or tile shaders, that you have to take account

the grout width into your Texture grid size, which I forgot. After that was solved I saw

at one point that everything fits fine like a projection planar or cube mapping would do.

So maybe all my playing and tries to edit mapping styles did nothing than keep

the default ?

Normally VW starts a texture at a corner of each surface. That is why nothing fits

together. I think this is also the case for walls.

Currently I can't either force access of the "use world origin" or perimeter mapping

for component walls by also selecting other geometry,

nor can I set correct texture positions with a simple extrude correctly ;)

Oh, and I see, some of my walls mappings don't work anymore correctly.

I think you mustn't move objects after a material was applied.

I gets more and more terrible as more you look into it.

I will stop now before I get annoyed.

This video may assist you.

Generally i do by component but occasionally i'd I need to rescale the texture i use by object which allow you to scale and rotate the texture on a face.

The right wall is by object.

HTH

Seems to confirm what I said above - the mapping on walls can be controlled if textures are applied by object, but not if they are applied by component.

Thanks Allen.

Didn't even came to the idea that I could overwrite texturing by object for a

wall by components.

Nevertheless I have many occasions where I need to see ALL components.

I come more and more to the conclusion that I should always work by object

and draw each component as a separate wall.

And as this will not work together with Windows and Doors and those Arch

Object don't have useful geometries for exports anyway,

I should limit my 3D work to Generic solids :)

These work.

I gets more and more terrible as more you look into it.

It does seem a bit that way.

Walls and floors - two of the most fundamental elements in any building, and two elements which frequently have repeating-pattern materials.

Yet the BIM objects VW provides don't allow us to map textures to them properly.

*sigh*

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Correct, at the moment even if you only have no components and have the slab textured By Object, you can not do any mapping at all. Half of that is just not included in the Slab texturing specs yet and the other half is a bug. You'll notice that you are allowed to add a decal texture to slabs but then you have no control over it whatsoever, this isn't intended.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Hopefully it's something that can be fixed soon because it seems a fairly fundamental limitation.

Meanwhile the issue of not being able to map components (walls or floors) at least has a kind of workaround (textures assigned by object instead) but is quite annoying because it breaks the tidiness of assigning texture by class (ie using "material" classes).

Thanks Allen.

I come more and more to the conclusion that I should always work by object

I am moving to walls by style and components.

If I need to change all the walls at once I can, so much easier and also the tick box under advanced of the viewport is great where you untick a Show wall components I can change a working drawing look to a marketing look by the click of a button.

The colour of the wall is set in the wall style by a separate colour.

In Viewports I can live with b/w only or components off very well.

But in 3D, realizing that by components in OIP/Render is not just an indicator

but a dropdown option, may be very useful.

:)

Not really in the current case where I need to export separate Wall Shells

in FBX and C4D and see my separate components. Here it would be very

nice if I could arrange my texture grouts of my panels according to parts

and building grids.

BTW

And yes, you have to be very concentrated after you edited a Wall Style.

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/2016 at 10:42 AM, JimW said:

Correct, at the moment even if you only have no components and have the slab textured By Object, you can not do any mapping at all. Half of that is just not included in the Slab texturing specs yet and the other half is a bug. You'll notice that you are allowed to add a decal texture to slabs but then you have no control over it whatsoever, this isn't intended.

Do you think this issue will be solved in VW 2017 SP3? It's problematic not te be able to edit the mapping of textures in slabs...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, martinfdc said:

Do you think this issue will be solved in VW 2017 SP3? It's problematic not te be able to edit the mapping of textures in slabs...

Not sure yet, unfortunately. I often don't know for sure which bugs will be fixed until just before the SP releases.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

The fact that slab object doesn't accept editable texture mapping is quite surprising.

Please see the attached image - this is perhaps a way to build jetties, not decks and terraces. Currently these vertical lines show up on elevations and must be hidden/covered by hand.

We need control over slab texturing, please.

Slab texture example cropped.jpg

• Like 1

I stand corrected but the slab and walls use textures and are editable in the resource browser by scaling up or down the image and the Bump brick shader and to move the texture along adjust the vert or horz  offset.

Slab.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell