Automate existing tree tool

I have 100s of trees I need to document with the existing tree tool. They are currently represented as circles (for the trunk) on the survey. Is there some way I can automate turning every circle into an existing tree instead of placing each one individually?

I tried: modify>convert>replace with symbol

But this only turns them into plants, not existing trees, it seems...

Thank you

Thanks Jim. I just tried your suggestion, but I'm not sure if that makes anything easier. The existing tree is now a Plant and I can not edit it in the resource browser as I would an existing tree, also my worksheet that looks for the existing tree record does not find it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Did you create the symbol you replaced the circles with from a Plant or from an Existing Tree? There is no reason it should be swapping the circles for Plant objects unless that was what was inside the symbol you picked for replacement.

• 11 months later...
On 6/3/2016 at 3:49 PM, kufuffin said:

Thanks Jim. I just tried your suggestion, but I'm not sure if that makes anything easier. The existing tree is now a Plant and I can not edit it in the resource browser as I would an existing tree, also my worksheet that looks for the existing tree record does not find it.

Did Jims suggestion work?

We usually get existing trees from the surveyor in Cad format. The tree symbols are usually cad blocks. It would be ideal if there were a way to select a block and replace all of the block copies with an 'ex tree' symbol. Possible?

I think it should.

I remember to have seen an old video where any kind of object selections were replaced by a Symbol.

I think the example were the the keys of a piano.

EDIT

Should have been this or a similar video :

Edited by zoomer