Rendering for Success - Preview

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

UPDATE: This training series can now be viewed publicly here:

The file package can be downloaded using the link in the description of each video, or from this link here:

http://vector.works/go/955

I have been a bit busy recently for various reasons, but I wanted to share a few more previews of something for Renderworks I've been working on. These will be VWX files made available to users along with the presentation video, giving examples of how to use the various aspects of Renderworks, these two below specifically relate to textures and their various shader components:

Texture samples:

Texture_Object_Images.jpg

Noise shader study:

Noise_Shaders_smaller.jpg

(Make sure to click the links to view the full size images, they're big.) Once I get the files posted I will add those links as well, still tweaking a few things and then they will go up for public consumption. The textures and render styles included are intended for your use and inspection, feel free to do whatever you like with them!

As a co-chair of a user group, I was lucky to get registered for the live GoToMeeting of this presentation. I was really bowled over by all of the innovative ideas in how to customize backgrounds and textures. And I'm sure others will be equally impressed. Will the video be on VSS, YouTube, Novedge, or some other venue? Please post it as soon as you can!

As a co-chair of a user group, I was lucky to get registered for the live GoToMeeting of this presentation. I was really bowled over by all of the innovative ideas in how to customize backgrounds and textures. And I'm sure others will be equally impressed. Will the video be on VSS, YouTube, Novedge, or some other venue? Please post it as soon as you can!

I'm very glad you liked it!

The user group version (semi compressed and focused on 4-5 topics) will be sent directly to the local user group leaders I believe, and most likely posted on the new portal which I have not worked much with yet. The FULL presentation that was at the Design Summit with additional embellishments and tricks will be first posted to the Service Select portal but then very likely pushed to Youtube shortly after that for public consumption as well. I suspect at LEAST the first parts (and the whole example file set) to be up on Service Select within a week or two at most.

The final video actually ended up being nearly two hours long, which was a bit much, so I'm slicing it into easily digestible chapters by concept rather than a random Part 1, Part 2, etc. so that it can be more easily referenced later. It was just going to be a quick and dirty tour of Renderworks but it evolved into something that would actually be a good supplement to the formal Renderworks guide.

If you found an automated way to do this and get previews of the delivered

material libraries, that would be wonderful.

I fully plan to harass Marissa later on this week and see if Marionette can be used to alter viewport class overrides, which is what I did manually to get similar previews on duplicate viewports of the same object. I am not sure if it can get hooks into those aspects of viewports.

• 1 month later...

This series is now live on the Service Select portal in the HowTo section. The project files will be added shortly. (they're quite large by design at 1.13GB compressed and we wanted to make sure they were properly hosted.)

They're huge because they're LOADED with textures and renderworks styles and styled viewports that we wanted you all to have an use and enjoy. Most of the guts of the files have been named to try and make it clear what the intended use was, but basically we went overkill on the resources and included everything we made during the creation of the guide even if it didn't get used in the final version.

We intentionally did NOT do a Purge as I normally recommend, because we wanted to over-share.

Hello Jim,

I watch the serie Rendering for success and it looks GREAT….

I also have a 3dconnexion space mouse would you maybe share your preferences of the axes of the space mouse or do you used the default settings ?

I have vw2016 architect + renderworks sp4

Regards,

Edward

Glad you like them! It should be these, however I find on some operating system versions, two of the axis controls are sometimes reversed depending on which firmware version the device itself had. I have two of them here and one is from a few years earlier than the other and it sometimes responds differently to the mapping software:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1173/3Dconnexion+SpaceNavigator+-+Recommended+Configuration+-+%28Mac+OS+X%29