Interactive Solar Animation Fails unless Heliodon is Visible

It seems that in order to interactively use the Solar Animation feature of the Heliodon object, it's necessary for the Heliodon itself to be visible on the computer monitor's screen. Otherwise, the sliders do nothing (at least not until the Solar Animation window is closed and the view is adjusted (such as by zooming or spinning)). Is there a particular reason for this behavior, or is it a bug?... VWIS083

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is considered a bug, it should not need to be in-screen for changes to appear and it has been marked for fixing.

Same fore Cameras.

To clarify, do you mean the same issue happens if you adjust a heliodon when it is out of the viewing area of the camera?

Okay, thanks! For now, then, I've been putting my heliodons right in the spaces that they're being used to light.

In all cases (this bug issue aside), it sure would be great if it were possible to name helidons (or is there a way, and I'm just in the dark? (no pun intended!)). Date and time make for terrible heliodon identifiers: it's impossible to remember which date and time goes with which scene, especially when the date and time are constantly changing as one adjusts the sun's position...

Also, it would be nice if, at least optionally, the default for new light objects was OFF for All Scenes (in the Visualization Palette). As I add new views to a project, I'll add lights specifically for those new scenes; usually I don't want the lights on for all of the previously created views. At least twice this week I've published sets of drawings with mostly blank images, 'cause two or three suns is just one or two suns too many... VWIS084

You can name any object in VW via the Data tab in the Object Info Palette.

The Hellodon name defaults to the City-Date-time format but you can overwrite this with your own descriptor.

This issue is that the Visualization palette doesn't return the custom name.

I think it only looks like you can name a heliodon in the OIP. If you subsequently change its date & time, or even just move it, the custom name is lost and replaced with its current City, Date & Time. And, definitely, along with being able to name heliodons, their custom names need to be displayed in the Visualization palette in order to be useful.

• 3 years later...
On 6/3/2016 at 9:48 PM, willofmaine said:

Also, it would be nice if, at least optionally, the default for new light objects was OFF for All Scenes (in the Visualization Palette). As I add new views to a project, I'll add lights specifically for those new scenes; usually I don't want the lights on for all of the previously created views. At least twice this week I've published sets of drawings with mostly blank images, 'cause two or three suns is just one or two suns too many... VWIS084

Yeah, I'm still wishing for this.  Almost four years later.  And also wishing for the ability to name heliodons.  Still.