stairs not coming out 3d

I have a drawing containing stairs created using the stairs tool. The "Create 3D" button is clicked in the Object Info plt, but the stairs remain in the "Top" view (2d, including directional arrows) when I am in a 3d view. It has at times showed up as 3d in the correct position, but is currently staying where it was in the top view, while everything else is rotated.

Is there anything I can do?

Update:

When I render the drawing, the stairs not only show up unrendered where they were in 2d, but also in the correct location and are fully rendered. When I deleted the 2d version (yes i can click on it even when it is out of place) the correctly located rendered version disappeared as well. So that blew my theory that there were 2 sets.

[Confused]

• 2 years later...

Christiaan,

I've solved this problem several times (but not every time) by doing the following:

Check the font you have assigned to the stair object. (I know, that sounds like it ought to belong in a Ripley's "Believe it or not" episode.)

Select the stair object and then pull down the Font menu to see which one is checked. You might find that *no* font is checked.! Assign a known system font (one that came with OSX) such as Arial or Times. This may be sufficient.

Alternatively, create the Stair PIO in a clean document with a know system font already selected as the default (so that font automatically becomes assigned to the Stair). Verify which font is checked. Verify that the Stair behaves as expected in both 2D & 3D space.

Copy and paste into the original document. After saving, I've been able to assign the desired font and have everything function normally thereafter.

If this doesn't work, you may have a sufficiently corrupted file that you'll have to WGR it into a new one. When this recurred in several documents last winter, I trashed the Stair PIO (it's buried pretty deep) and reinstalled. Hasn't recurred for more than six months.

Good luck,

[ 09-06-2005, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Travis ]