New classes default to "visible" in Viewports

I have a nice template set up in Vectorworks that allows me to publish multiple sheets with different levels of information very quickly.

The only problem that I have run into is that when I create a new class/layer that does not already exist in my template I have to go through and update the visibility of these classes/layers in all of the viewports.

Is there a way to set things so that new layers/classes are automatically visible in viewports?

Thanks

I did have one other quick question related to this.

A lot of times when I am bringing in symbols, or sometimes just using the default vectorworks tools new classes are created all on their own.

Is there anyway to have these automatically generated classes default to being view-able in viewports as well?

What I have found is that even though I will change the class of a symbol as a whole, its geometry may still be associated with another class (seemingly no matter what I do). I am fine with this, but I would just like these new classes to be viewable by default in viewports.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I don't think there is any setting for unwanted imported Classes.

But when you create new Classes, there is an option to set visibilities for Viewports.

I think the Default is non visible to viewports, at least I am missing my new Classes.

So maybe, if you create a new Class, using that Setting as you wish,

it will be a Default for imported Classes too ?

And you have to create a new Class again, to change that Default back ?

One omission that I would like to see addressed is importing Sketchup files. The dialogue box on import should include the option to assign a class.

The problem is that (for whatever reason) VW takes the layer name as the class and the filename as the layer. For the unsuspecting there could be a lot of layers in Su (of all different languages and symbols) which then become unused/unwanted classes in VW.

Of course the workaround is to always import into a blank document and then assign everything to a new class (SU class in our case) but it would be much easier if we could do that on import.

The problem is that (for whatever reason) VW takes the layer name as the class and the filename as the layer. For the unsuspecting there could be a lot of layers in Su (of all different languages and symbols) which then become unused/unwanted classes in VW.

Nothing against you wish for the one class only option.

But I think that works very straightforward this way.

As everywhere Layers are what VW calls Classes and not every App has

additional VW "Layers", separation Layer>Class, File>Layer is pretty cool.

As far as I understand the SKP import has an additional option to assign

by Materials>Classes.

Until your wish will be implemented,

importing into a separate file is always a good choice,

in similar situations I will create a new Class, select all SKP Classes and delete,

in the dialog I choose to assign concerning elements to my new Class with

its proper naming.

Until your wish will be implemented,

importing into a separate file is always a good choice,

Its not only a good choice it is absolutely essential. There is one particular issue where a model could create several hundred textures and you don't want this in your working document.

As far as adding a class assignment to the import dialogue it seems a sensible option and saves work.

Of course you can always reassign the objects in Su to Layer0

• 6 years later...
On 6/1/2016 at 1:39 PM, zoomer said:

I don't think there is any setting for unwanted imported Classes.

But when you create new Classes, there is an option to set visibilities for Viewports.

no news about that ? 

is it possible to change that new are invisible by default to visible by default ?